Eddie Murray Article

mcneck

I found this article very interesting. There are a lot of stories I havn't heard before in the story and comments... Enjoy

http://joeposnanski.com/no-64-eddie-murray/

An interesting perspective on Murray, and in particular, attributing the '79 Series collapse to feuding with Dick Young/The Press, and backstabbing by an Orioles scout (if I read that right).

I watched the whole '79 Series over the off-season, the first time since '79. From that, I believe the thing that got under Murray's skin after Game 2 was *his teammates* playing along with the second-guessing of his cutting off the throw in the 9th inning. IIRC, Singleton quoted on the record, Dempsey doing the same in a recorded interview with Cosell, who of course was stirring things up. Who knows what else in the newspapers. It's just inconceivable that players would do that today, especially to a moody player (WHO HAD JUST CARRIED THE TEAM IN GAME 2 and at worst, made a questionable fielding play). I think that in particular got under his skin and he lost his usual (extraordinary) focus.

Okay, just had to get that out there. Murray is easily the best player I had the privilege of seeing play regularly.

An interesting perspective on Murray, and in particular, attributing the '79 Series collapse to feuding with Dick Young/The Press, and backstabbing by an Orioles scout (if I read that right).

I watched the whole '79 Series over the off-season, the first time since '79. From that, I believe the thing that got under Murray's skin after Game 2 was *his teammates* playing along with the second-guessing of his cutting off the throw in the 9th inning. IIRC, Singleton quoted on the record, Dempsey doing the same in a recorded interview with Cosell, who of course was stirring things up. Who knows what else in the newspapers. It's just inconceivable that players would do that today, especially to a moody player (WHO HAD JUST CARRIED THE TEAM IN GAME 2 and at worst, made a questionable fielding play). I think that in particular got under his skin and he lost his usual (extraordinary) focus.

Okay, just had to get that out there. Murray is easily the best player I had the privilege of seeing play regularly.

Thank you for sharing. Great stuff.

Archived