Who Said PNC Park Is Nicer Than Camden Yards?

MagicBird

Im pretty sure its been posted here that PNC is a nicer stadium than OPACY.

Well, its not!

Whoever said was just wrong.

I was at the Pirates game yesterday afternoon and while PNC is neat and unique it is not as nice as OPACY.

OPACY is neater, and I would say a cleaner and more upscale design. PNC has an older feel to it, somewhat the feel of a relic. It had to be by design. I get the crudeness of a lot of the design and the steel structure as it fits the city. The bathrooms are small and look older and dirty in presentation. And yea, the view of the city and the old rusty yellow bridge is neat. There is a neat environment inside and outside of the stadium. But it is not a better stadium in any why shape or form IMO.

I was at OPACY this past Thursday & Friday fro games and then in Pitt Yesterday for the Pirates game so the comparison was based on a back to back visits.

Camden Yards is the greatest sports facility ever built. Thanks for confirming it MagicBird.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im pretty sure its been posted here that PNC is a nicer stadium than OPACY.

Well, its not!

Whoever said was just wrong.

I was at the Pirates game yesterday afternoon and while PNC is neat and unique it is not as nice as OPACY.

OPACY is neater, and I would say a cleaner and more upscale design. PNC has an older feel to it, somewhat the feel of a relic. It had to be by design. I get the crudeness of a lot of the design and the steel structure as it fits the city. The bathrooms are small and look older and dirty in presentation. And yea, the view of the city and the old rusty yellow bridge is neat. There is a neat environment inside and outside of the stadium. But it is not a better stadium in any why shape or form IMO.

I was at OPACY this past Thursday & Friday fro games and then in Pitt Yesterday for the Pirates game so the comparison was based on a back to back visits.

In the first place, OPACY is not named after a corporation. It's not named after a bank or a retail chain. Whatever one might think of PA as an owner, the fact that he refuses to sell naming rights to a corporation is a real positive.

I'm glad Pittsburgh has a great park now. I grew up a couple of hours south of there and I saw a good many games at that big lump of concrete they called Three Rivers. I'll never forget sitting in the photographer's area one night shooting a Pirates game a few weeks after my first trip to Camden Yards in 1992. Three Rivers was so cold and impersonal that it actually got a bit depressing in comparison (in fact, I remember that I was wearing my Oriole Park at Camden Yards Inaugural Season 1992 t-shirt that night).

But then Camden Yards was special in those days. Not only was the park beautiful and unique, but the atmosphere was special with every game sold out. I haven't been up for quite some years, but watching on TV it just doesn't seem the same. And I'm appalled every time I see that creepy Hilton blocking the view.

It's been about 20 years since I've been to Pittsburgh, so I haven't been to PNC, but I've heard great things about it. Maybe one of these days I'll make it back to both cities.

I was at the game last night and looking at the scoreboard and trying to visualize the scoreboard where you moved in your pc. I think its would be a positive thing if it blocked that Hilton. IMO, after looking at things last night I like ur idea better than I did from just looking at the picture.

Thank you! Yeah, it's an eyesore. I've seen parking decks that were more attractive than that Hilton. The photoshop I made was based on an existing picture obviously, but I was trying to get the idea across in the cut and pasting. I did make that smaller auxillary right field scoreboard (behind the last two sections past the foul pole in foul territory) where it would obscure as little of the warehouse as possible. Where I put those extra CF orange umbrella seats could also be a standing room only area like in RF at the flag court, but I do know that bar section is a great place to see the game as well. I'd love to see them do something like this overall.

Archived