How Many Games?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Games?

• 2-3
    • 4-5
    • 6-7
    • 8+

This poll is closed to new votes

I think it will be at least five games, and perhaps as many as seven. I wish Manny had not charged the mound, because having him out for that long is not worth the 15 seconds of satisfaction. It seems to me the umpire could have headed it off by quickly and emphatically tossing Ventura from the game, which he should have done before Manny had any opportunity to take things into his own hands.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it will be at least five games, and perhaps as many as seven. I wish Manny had not charged the mound, because having him out for that long is not worth the 15 seconds of satisfaction. It seems to me the umpire could have headed it off by quickly and emphatically tossing Ventura from the game, which he should have done before Manny had any opportunity to take things into his own hands.

The league could have headed it off by putting in escalating punishment for repeated offenses. You get ejected twice for hitting batters and you're out 14 games. Three times is 50. Four is a season. All without pay. He'd be between 50-162 right now, right?

Do you catch Buck last night and when asked about Manny throwing the punch:

Asked whether he was disappointed in Machado’s reaction - charging the mound and throwing a punch - Showalter offered a stern “No.

Odor received 7 for punching Bautista, so I think you start there and then add however many games charging the mound adds on. I wouldn't be surprised if the suspension was initially in the 8 to 12 game range.

Ventura should have to complete an anger management course and then serve a 30 game suspension. But I think he'll get something around 15 games. The guy's a menace and the league needs to do something to clamp down on this type of behavior.

I would not have expected a different answer from Buck. He's going to back his player, and he's not going to concede for one second that the Orioles' chances of winning games will be hurt when Manny is out of the lineup, because he doesn't want his players getting in that mindset. But the truth is, Manny is our best player and having him out of the lineup hurts our chances of winning games, and he accomplished little or nothing by charging the mound.

I would not have expected a different answer from Buck. He's going to back his player, and he's not going to concede for one second that the Orioles' chances of winning games will be hurt when Manny is out of the lineup, because he doesn't want his players getting in that mindset. But the truth is, Manny is our best player and having him out of the lineup hurts our chances of winning games, and he accomplished little or nothing by charging the mound.

It would be a little more tolerable if Hardy weren't also out. Offensively as crazy as it is we can "manage" if Jones keeps heating up and Davis does the same. But I'm really not looking forward to seeing Flaherty and Janish at the left side, or worse, Alvarez.

I disgree.

Buck does not believe in retaliation pitches, but I think he does support his player standing up for themselves.

Buck warned Manny that Ventura was going to hit him, before he went to bat.

Look on the bright side, maybe this will give him a few days off, to rest his body.

IMO, I think he gets 5 games, and appeals it down to 3.

Odor received 7 for punching Bautista, so I think you start there and then add however many games charging the mound adds on. I wouldn't be surprised if the suspension was initially in the 8 to 12 game range.

Ventura should have to complete an anger management course and then serve a 30 game suspension. But I think he'll get something around 15 games. The guy's a menace and the league needs to do something to clamp down on this type of behavior.

Anger management course? LOL. I think Manny needs a course on how to handle complete d... bags

I disgree.

Buck does not believe in retaliation pitches, but I think he does support his player standing up for themselves.

Buck warned Manny that Ventura was going to hit him, before he went to bat.

Look on the bright side, maybe this will give him a few days off, to rest his body.

IMO, I think he gets 5 games, and appeals it down to 3.

I think you are dead wrong if you think the final suspension will be anything less than five games. Heck, I'm hoping for five -- it could be seven or eight based on past precedents and Manny's prior bat-throwing episode.

It would be a little more tolerable if Hardy weren't also out. Offensively as crazy as it is we can "manage" if Jones keeps heating up and Davis does the same. But I'm really not looking forward to seeing Flaherty and Janish at the left side, or worse, Alvarez.

I'm fine with Janish at SS defensively -- he's as good as Manny and possibly better, IMO. But the offensive dropoff is enormous.

I think you are dead wrong if you think the final suspension will be anything less than five games. Heck, I'm hoping for five -- it could be seven or eight based on past precedents and Manny's prior bat-throwing episode.

You could be right, I've been dead wrong before, hopefully, they take into consideration Ventura and his past hitting Manny, back in 2014 into consideration.

Once in awhile, I am even right. :)

I'm proud of Manny for not taking his bat with him. That's all the restraint I could expect. The guy hit him last year, threw at him twice the at-bat before... and obviously yelling at him didn't work. The only way to stop him was to physically stand up to him.

We're talking about Ventura here - the guy who started 3 bench-clearing brawls last year, so obviously MLB takes that into account and will NOT give him an Odor type penalty - if they have any brains at all. 3 games sounds reasonable. And the fact that there was not Odor level punch does make a difference - even if Manny would have liked to connect with one. Ventura picked Baltimore's best player to throw at - and he threw at him 3 f'n times that game. If you give Manny a 7 game suspension, that encourages teams to use their hot-head pitchers to go after top players.

Since this is so many times Ventura has done this kind of thing, maybe it's time for the Royals to be penalized, so they won't continue to enable that kind of behavior.

Archived