Should we be concerned with attendance numbers yet?

Aglets

Basically a referendum approved fund was emptied out to help pay for the stadium.

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/2016/06/06/11169/cobb-county-spent-all-its-money-on-braves-stadium-doesnt-have-enough-left-for-public-parks/

Keep in mind that tax payers didn't approve a tax increase for the stadium.

O... They'll like it. They might put some fancy pop art in the outfield...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Keep in mind that tax payers didn't approve a tax increase for the stadium.

I'm sure the dramatically higher economic activity from the Braves and stadium would generate more than enough tax revenues to pay for the stadium without costing taxpayers one dollar. Or so says every economic study commissioned by a billionaire owner looking for a free stadium.

I'm sure the dramatically higher economic activity from the Braves and stadium would generate more than enough tax revenues to pay for the stadium without costing taxpayers one dollar. Or so says every economic study commissioned by a billionaire owner looking for a free stadium.

HA..HA..HA:rofl:

I written on the fallacy of those studies in many previous threads

A perfect storm, of sorts. Ticket prices. The unpredictable forecast making it nigh impossible to buy tickets in advance. And so on.

But it's also fair to note that coming out of 2014, a lot of fans were amped up. They'd won the division, advanced to the ALCS. Coming out of 2015, everyone was humbled.

o

I'm concerned about the Orioles' attendance.

I'm not sure that there is much that I can do about it though, other than drive down to Baltimore, park my car, and run up and down Pratt Street screaming, "Hey everybody, go to more Orioles games !!!"

You mean the bond issues are NOt self-liquidating? Even though the government says they are?

A perfect storm, of sorts. Ticket prices. The unpredictable forecast making it nigh impossible to buy tickets in advance. And so on.

But it's also fair to note that coming out of 2014, a lot of fans were amped up. They'd won the division, advanced to the ALCS. Coming out of 2015, everyone was humbled.

Has nothing to do with ticket prices. Nothing. You can go to a game against the Yankees for 10 bucks. And sit where you like. Nothing to do with prices. Brave have a deal to go to 17 games for 37 Bucks.

You mean the bond issues are NOt self-liquidating? Even though the government says they are?

Puerto Rico bonds are great.:) Private investors might lose all their money. Won't be the last bond crisis,

The island’s plight affects most people with a mutual fund invested in the municipal bond market. Unlike the bonds of most states and municipalities, Puerto Rico’s are exempt from local, state and federal taxes everywhere in the U.S. As a result, they are held by about half of open-end muni funds. The competitive advantage made it easy for Puerto Rico to double its debt in 10 years by selling bonds to plug annual budget deficits and pay for operating expenses — the same combination that brought New York City to the brink of bankruptcy in the 1970s.

http://www.bloomberg.com/quicktake/puerto-ricos-slide

Weather is one thing...but school and riots are another. The fact is the Orioles make ZERO effort to appeal to the people of Baltimore who live within a few miles of the stadium. Most of them don't have kids. And they already live in Baltimore so they don't care about riots. But there are over 100,000 people who live within a few miles of the park and can regularly make it on a weekday night. Instead the Orioles choose to focus their marketing on a family from southern Pa who might show up for a Sunday game and have their kids run the bases.

I am not sure if this is what you are getting at, but a comparison between the Orioles and Giants promotions this year does suggest a different edge in marketing philosophies:

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/schedule/promotions.jsp?c_id=bal

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/schedule/promotions.jsp?c_id=sf

Among the Giants promos this year:

SPECIAL EVENT: Hello Kitty Day

SPECIAL EVENT: Jerry Garcia Tribute Night

SPECIAL EVENT: Metallica Night

SPECIAL EVENT: Bruce Lee Tribute Night

SPECIAL EVENT: Wine Fest 1

SPECIAL EVENT: Orange Friday Happy Hour #3

Archived