Should we be concerned with attendance numbers yet?

Aglets

I've told this story numerous time ...... I once got beat up by the Durham Bull outside of the stadium after a game in North Carolina in 2008.

Can you give a brief synopsis?

ace-and-wool-e-bull-300x300.jpg

Sure.

The Tides had just beaten the Bulls in a night game. After the game, outside of the stadium, the Durham Bull was playing with a bunch of little kids who were Bulls fans. I walked up to him ...... wearing my Orioles mask, my Orioles rally monkey, my Orioles orange foam finger, my Norfolk Tides cap, and my Orioles jersey ...... and smiled. He grabbed me, clobbered me with about 7 or 8 body shots, kicked me in my rear-end with his size 23 shoe, and sent me on my way.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Again, there are excuses aplenty for what might outwardly appear as a ho-hum homestand, attendance-wise. The Yankees aren?t the Yankees and therefore aren?t the big road draw they typically are. O?s fans, hesitant to put full faith in a deeply flawed starting rotation, would rather wait for the other shoe to drop than commit. Better to have never loved at all than to have loved and lost. Or something like that.

But all those excuses -- all the apathy -- seemed to fly out the window Tuesday night the moment that Machado charged the mound.

?Man-ny, Man-ny, Man-ny,? chanted the crowd, which over the previous couple innings had grown unusually boisterous. It was as if Yordano Ventura's second-inning fastball fly-by -- a 98 mph heater that just missed Machado and resulted in the superstar slugger barking at Ventura as he sauntered down the first base line after flying out -- had raised their antennae at attention.

When play resumed after the fifth-inning brawl and the first two batters, Trumbo and Davis, cranked back-to-back jacks -- no really, this actually happened -- the place went bananas.

?It was more like the playoff series against Detroit and K.C.,? says lifelong O?s fan Larry Lichter, ?or like a Ravens game where you?re on the edge of your seat waiting for the next blow, the next dinger, the next show of support for Manny.?

The banana-thon continued into the sixth inning, when Jones led off with another bomb, and lasted all the way to the bitter end (and I do mean bitter):

As they flooded the exits following the final out, O?s fans booed the very mention of Ventura?s name when P.A. announcer Ryan Wagner announced the game?s losing pitcher. And all because of one fateful pitch over an hour earlier.

Says Lichter: ?The brawl brought out a different atmosphere.?

If it sticks around on Wednesday and beyond, perhaps even into October, the Orioles -- and their fans -- will have the Royals to thank."

http://espn.go.com/blog/baltimore-orioles/post/_/id/930/finally-os-fans-get-fired-up-brawl-is-wake-up-call-at-camden-yards

Aside from the billboards, posters, radio-ads, bar specials and being within walking distance of the giant stadium right there - what exactly do they have to do? They have the flight deck, the CF bar, the high-end food, the ability to bring your own food, cozy relationships with local establishments and a massive social media presence. What else should they do?

There's plenty they could do. Have neighborhood nights. Sobo residents in upper deck 1st base side, East neighborhoods down the left, Northern neighborhoods left field. They could have Orioles stands in the markets around town that sell merchandise and discounted tickets on weekdays a couple hours before the game. Cross promotions with Uber/Lyft. Discounted tickets if you ride your bike. Let you park your bike in the stadium instead of outside where it gets stolen (like they let you park strollers) The list could go on.

I am not sure if this is what you are getting at, but a comparison between the Orioles and Giants promotions this year does suggest a different edge in marketing philosophies:

http://baltimore.orioles.mlb.com/schedule/promotions.jsp?c_id=bal

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/schedule/promotions.jsp?c_id=sf

Among the Giants promos this year:

SPECIAL EVENT: Hello Kitty Day

SPECIAL EVENT: Jerry Garcia Tribute Night

SPECIAL EVENT: Metallica Night

SPECIAL EVENT: Bruce Lee Tribute Night

SPECIAL EVENT: Wine Fest 1

SPECIAL EVENT: Orange Friday Happy Hour #3

It's exactly what I mean. Promotions that appeal to people who can attend several games. I kind of understand that people say - it's within walking distance - what do they need to do. But there are A LOT of organizations competing for that dollar. It's not like there's nothing else going on in the city.

It should also be noted that in the 13 game package that I have there have already been 8 games used. That's a lot quicker than the past few years. I know they usually put more at the beginning of the schedule but for a while there I had a game every week to week and a half. Wonder if they had an idea that the season could start slow or if they usually start one plan like this, and this is just my year of going through so many so early (which is fine by me I have a harder time going because work come August)

• 2 weeks later...
Since we are at the 1/3 mark during the season, maybe we should see if attendance numbers have picked up at all yet.

Last year we averaged 29,374 fans per game (19th in MLB). Not exactly something to be super proud of.

But in 2016, through 34 home games, we are only pulling in 23,904 per game (23rd).

Should we be concerned?

I'm sure some of it is the increased prices and the bad weather early......and it probably will pick up during the summer...........but should we be concerned?

Another small update since we are now at the halfway mark (40 games at home).

We've moved the needle slightly, up to 24,970 fans per game (21st in MLB). Hopefully we keep going up as the summer goes on and the O's stay in contention.

Interesting to me that the team with the worst fan base in terms of attendance (less than 17K per game) is the 1st place Cleveland Indians.

Another small update since we are now at the halfway mark (40 games at home).

We've moved the needle slightly, up to 24,970 fans per game (21st in MLB). Hopefully we keep going up as the summer goes on and the O's stay in contention.

Interesting to me that the team with the worst fan base in terms of attendance (less than 17K per game) is the 1st place Cleveland Indians.

Yeah, I don't care how the attendance shakes out.

It's exactly what I mean. Promotions that appeal to people who can attend several games. I kind of understand that people say - it's within walking distance - what do they need to do. But there are A LOT of organizations competing for that dollar. It's not like there's nothing else going on in the city.

San Francisco.

Baltimore.

Both cities on a bay.

I only care because attendance affects the budget to some degree. Every hundred thousand fans is another $3-5 mm in revenue. And, I do like going to games where the house is pretty packed, so long as I can still get the tickets I want.

I've been to 10 games this year. It's expensive.

No I'm not trying to get the cheapest tickets and sit where ever I can find that cheapest ticket at, but still. They really need to do something about the M-Th games where 20k is a big crowd. Fill the upper deck with $5 tickets...$1 hotdogs every Monday...Something

Orioles Alumni autographs aren't bringing people to the park on a Tuesday when its 90* and humid.

I've been to 10 games this year. It's expensive.

No I'm not trying to get the cheapest tickets and sit where ever I can find that cheapest ticket at, but still. They really need to do something about the M-Th games where 20k is a big crowd. Fill the upper deck with $5 tickets...$1 hotdogs every Monday...Something

Orioles Alumni autographs aren't bringing people to the park on a Tuesday when its 90* and humid.

I live 3 hours away from the Yard and I'd probably show up for $5 beers and $1 hotdogs. Seat prices don't matter if that's the special of the day at the ballpark.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

I live 3 hours away from the Yard and I'd probably show up for $5 beers and $1 hotdogs. Seat prices don't matter if that's the special of the day at the ballpark.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Come to a dugout club game then, The Hot Dogs are a Buck. You'll need to get liquored outside.

I certainly do, as, to me, it speaks to the overall health of and support for the organization. It's about sustainability of the club in Baltimore over the long term. Getting butts in the seats is an important part of that. Additionally, this club is playing damn good ball, and though getting better, the turnout hasn't been great. There's more the team could be doing to encourage turnout, but it's a two way street.

I also think, if I'm ownership, I'm not thrilled that I've spent the most money on this team ever, by a lot, and the attendance has not been particularly good. I know there are a number of reasons for that, and I'm not saying this view is necessarily justified, but that's certainly what I'd be thinking if I was Pete. I wonder how this will impact willingness to spend moving forward.

I know there is a little hyperbole here, as it's obviously more than just attendance that determines a franchise's long term viability, and it's not like the club in Baltimore is imperiled in anyway at present, but I do think it plays a role over the long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived