Should we be concerned with attendance numbers yet?

Aglets

Since we are at the 1/3 mark during the season, maybe we should see if attendance numbers have picked up at all yet.

Last year we averaged 29,374 fans per game (19th in MLB). Not exactly something to be super proud of.

But in 2016, through 34 home games, we are only pulling in 23,904 per game (23rd).

Should we be concerned?

I'm sure some of it is the increased prices and the bad weather early......and it probably will pick up during the summer...........but should we be concerned?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since we are at the 1/3 mark during the season, maybe we should see if attendance numbers have picked up at all yet.

Last year we averaged 29,374 fans per game (19th in MLB). Not exactly something to be super proud of.

But in 2016, through 34 home games, we are only pulling in 23,904 per game (23rd).

Should we be concerned?

I'm sure some of it is the increased prices and the bad weather early......and it probably will pick up during the summer...........but should we be concerned?

Certainly. MLB may move the team to Montreal.

A 20 percent decrease is pretty significant. I think it is a concern and I don't think it can be blamed entirely on weather at this point.

More likely the increase in ticket prices is the primary factor.

The Yankee series was a bit of suprise. I know that is prime tickets and all but the Yanks usually to draw a big crowd for them at Camden. There was some but it looked like a much lower amount.

Yankees are not used to being in last place. Yankee game sell outs are half Yankee.

Can we look at where we were after 34 games last year. I think that is a better test.

I'm ignoring the no attendance game obviously in these calculations.

If my math is right then through the first 34 home games last year we averaged 29,628 fans per game, nearly identical to the seasonal average.

Yankees are not used to being in last place. Yankee game sell outs are half Yankee.

Yeah I know i figure that is another 5 to 10 k there that didn't come. Looking at the games the weekend series have been pretty good but week day games have been dreadful. Some of that has to do with kids in school and also the kids playing baseball at this point. I won't get too concerned until we see if we see a good pickup now that school is done.

A 20 percent decrease is pretty significant. I think it is a concern and I don't think it can be blamed entirely on weather at this point.

More likely the increase in ticket prices is the primary factor.

I discussed this with some fans on my FB page recently and we came to the conclusion these were the main factors:

1. May weather

2. Price increase

3. Price increase with lack of promotions is the real head scratcher to me. You make money with concessions more so than the ticket. Not doing a promotion is nobody's fault but the Orioles.

It's a combination of factors IMO.

Another factor is the after effects of the Baltimore riots. I know that was from last year, but it might be preventing folks from southern PA, Northern Virginia, DC, and Maryland to go to Camden Yards because the City of Baltimore itself isn't safe.

difference is 4,132 peeps, according to BBREF

Not sure, any of that can be to the riots. I think thats a bit of a stretch.

The Yankee series was a bit of suprise. I know that is prime tickets and all but the Yanks usually to draw a big crowd for them at Camden. There was some but it looked like a much lower amount.

That definitely hurts attendance. It also looks like we had a couple more weekend games last year in the first 34 home games last year (16) than this year (14), so that should even out a little more as the season goes along. And I definitely think that weather has hurt a little early in the season.

But I think 2015 was a little inflated by more season ticket holders. A bunch of people bought 2015 plans to get access to 2014 playoff games. We did not get that bump at the end of the year last season.

Long story short, I think it will get better as the season progresses and weather improves, especially if we keep playing well. But I think 2015 had a little bit of an artificial bump that we don't have this season.

Archived