Manny Machado Suspended for 4 Games

OFFNY

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm ducking as I type this, but...

Ventura wasn't the only person in that altercation with a history. Machado has history with other players and has been a nuisance with umpires as well. If I were MLB, I'd have lengthened his suspension. Just because the guy who threw the pitch is worse, and the pitch was 99 MPH, doesn't give you license to charge the mound. It's not Manny's battle. He shouldn't have charged, no matter how satisfying it was to him or us.

With all of that said, I'm tickled that it's only 4 games with a chance for something even smaller. I just wouldn't have been so lenient if I were MLB.

Ventura wasn't the only person in that altercation with a history. Machado has history with other players and has been a nuisance with umpires as well. If I were MLB, I'd have lengthened his suspension. Just because the guy who threw the pitch is worse, and the pitch was 99 MPH, doesn't give you license to charge the mound. It's not Manny's battle. He shouldn't have charged, no matter how satisfying it was to him or us.

With all of that said, I'm tickled that it's only 4 games with a chance for something even smaller. I just wouldn't have been so lenient if I were MLB.

I don't think any of us that were against it when it happened have changed our minds.

However 4 games is a number that is in line with past suspensions.

If you're thrown at 2 times before and you chirped to stop throwing inside and then he hits you...yes, it's his battle. I understand it. It's his livelihood. The problem is the umps did a piss poor job of warning Ventura. If Ventura is warned earlier in the game and then hits Machado, Machado is still in the game and Ventura is thrown out and suspended.

And yet, they will be even more lenient.

I think 4 games is pretty good. He had been thrown at twice by a known headhunter, without the umps doing anything to intervene or de-escalate the situation. Gets thrown at a third time and basically does MLB a favor by giving the punk kid his comeuppance on national television. If there was ever a time that charging the mound was justified, this is about as close as they come. 4 seems right to me.

Why wouldn't they have the hearing in NY Mon.?

Are the Orioles in NY on Monday? It might be inconvenient for his representation to assemble their case that quickly. Surely an appeal date can be appealed based on counsel availability.

Are the Orioles in NY on Monday? It might be inconvenient for his representation to assemble their case that quickly. Surely an appeal date can be appealed based on counsel availability.
They're flying from TOR to BOS Sun. Thave these things like trains and charter flights, to go between NY and BOS.

Archived