Manny Machado Suspended for 4 Games

OFFNY

Makes sense. It used to be 3 but we have seen an increase in recent years.

Yeah, people said "Well, baseball is trying to crack down on bench-clearing brawls - as if this is something new. They've ALWAYS tried to crack down on bench-clearing brawls. Nothing's changed.

People who said 3-5 games are looking pretty smart now. Cough!

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A person with direct knowledge of MLB's decision confirmed the length of Machado's suspension. He spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because the suspension has not yet been announced. Machado is expected to appeal the suspension.

Ventura is expected to receive a suspension of eight games, the person said. Starting pitchers usually receive longer suspensions because they only pitch every fifth day.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2016/06/09/manny-machado-suspended-four-games-yordano-ventura/85584268/

I thought it would be a minimum of five games, and possibly more, so I am very happy with four. I hope this is the end of suspensions for Manny because the next one won't be so light. I think the relatively light penalty does reflect that MLB saw that Ventura's conduct was pretty outrageous.

Yeah, people said "Well, baseball is trying to crack down on bench-clearing brawls - as if this is something new. They've ALWAYS tried to crack down on bench-clearing brawls. Nothing's changed.

People who said 3-5 games are looking pretty smart now. Cough!

I voted 3-4, but after that I looked up past mound chargers and they were all in the 7-8 game range.

Manny got off light, probably because of the guy throwing the ball. Good for us.

I thought it would be a minimum of five games, and possibly more, so I am very happy with four. I hope this is the end of suspensions for Manny because the next one won't be so light. I think the relatively light penalty does reflect that MLB saw that Ventura's conduct was pretty outrageous.

And then the rumor of Ventura only getting 8 games squashes everything you said.

I'm ducking as I type this, but...

Ventura wasn't the only person in that altercation with a history. Machado has history with other players and has been a nuisance with umpires as well. If I were MLB, I'd have lengthened his suspension. Just because the guy who threw the pitch is worse, and the pitch was 99 MPH, doesn't give you license to charge the mound. It's not Manny's battle. He shouldn't have charged, no matter how satisfying it was to him or us.

With all of that said, I'm tickled that it's only 4 games with a chance for something even smaller. I just wouldn't have been so lenient if I were MLB.

Manny kept his nose clean for two years. I think he's matured since the A's incident. A number of MLB analysts mentioend the same change in him, while noting that his reaction was reasonable considering the aggression of what he had just experienced. Ventura is the same repeat offender he was last year and earlier this year.

I'm happy with 4 as well and hope he appeals it down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived