2016 3rd Round Pick - Austin Hays - OF - Jacksonville University Florida

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I didn't realize he was that high on BA. Tracking on MLB.com and he didn't have a write-up and figured that meant he wasn't worth one.

Much more excited about this pick seeing that ranking

And no available video. Almost every other player has video. You'd think they would have something on him if he's so highly rated.

Austin Hays, a pre-season FAVORITE due to his patient approach (easiest way to become a FAVORITE as a hitter), plus arm, strong glove, and above-average speed, has done his part in the early going. Hays may get stuck with the tweener label for some – not quite enough pop for a corner, not quite enough glove for center – but a more open-minded team might view perceived negative as a strength: Hays isn’t a tweener, he’s versatile! I’m not sure I’d go quite that far, but I still like Hays a whole lot.

https://baseballdraftreport.com/tag/austin-hays/

And no available video. Almost every other player has video. You'd think they would have something on him if he's so highly rated.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/40395496/v738203583/draft-report-austin-hays-college-outfielder

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=738203583&topic_id=40395496&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

The O's have made a lot of 3rd round picks in recent years that produced a player who reached the majors, though in many cases with only limited success once they got there. In a ten-year span they drafted:

Britton

Wright

Hoes

Fiorentino

Ray

Majewski

And, they drafted some guy named Eddie Murray in the 3rd round in 1973.

When I saw Austin Hays' background I immediately thought of Fiorentino, another Florida juco outfielder. Given Hays' BA ranking, maybe he can be the hitter that we were hoping Stewart would be.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/40395496/v738203583/draft-report-austin-hays-college-outfielder

<iframe src='http://m.mlb.com/shared/video/embed/embed.html?content_id=738203583&topic_id=40395496&width=400&height=224&property=mlb' width='400' height='224' frameborder='0'>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

I stand corrected. They don't have a link to that in the draft tracker.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2016-mlb-draft-best-available-players-remaining-on-day-2/

Austin Hays, OF, Jacksonville

Hays started his collegiate career at Seminole State Juco and transferred to Jacksonville after one year. He had a decent sophomore campaign and then blew up in 2016. On the season, he hit .350/.406/.655 with 16 doubles, two triples, 16 homers and 15 steals in 54 games. The power-speed combo bodes well, particularly because he's said to be a prototypical right fielder. Also, the 32 strikeouts in 223 at-bats shows some contact skills at a young age.

Yeesss! I'm liking this draft so far. No stretches, they are getting the good player.

Yeesss! I'm liking this draft so far. No stretches, they are getting the good player.

Amen to that. Really hated Stewart and of course everyone hated Hobgood. This year, much different approach it seems. I like it.

The O's have made a lot of 3rd round picks in recent years that produced a player who reached the majors, though in many cases with only limited success once they got there. In a ten-year span they drafted:

Britton

Wright

Hoes

Fiorentino

Ray

Majewski

And, they drafted some guy named Eddie Murray in the 3rd round in 1973.

When I saw Austin Hays' background I immediately thought of Fiorentino, another Florida juco outfielder. Given Hays' BA ranking, maybe he can be the hitter that we were hoping Stewart would be.

Oh no. You may have your minor league man crush again! lol Won't be worse than RZNJ's man crush on Hart though. lol

Not to single you out, but this comes up every year: this is not a good way of analyzing draft picks. Past the top 20 or so, there is no real reason to pay attention to third-party ranking numbers. The words that are written about the players, sure, but this isn't the NFL draft. Calling a second- or third-round pick a "reach" based on BA or MLB's lists is silly. There are more than 30 different player rankings compiled each year, and we only get to see two. We have no idea what the "consensus" is, because it's formed primarily by the 30 lists we don't get to see. Hays, for example, is a "steal" by BA's list, but a "reach" by MLB's. In 2011, Jason Esposito was a "steal" while Mike Wright was a "reach." In 2013, Josh Hart was taken right where the rankings had him, while Chance Sisco was taken two rounds too early.

What I'm trying to say is this: make up your own mind. Learn to scout. Watch videos of guys, and talk about what you see. It's not that hard, and if you end up being way wrong, so what? Even the best in the business are wrong all the time.

Amen to that. Really hated Stewart and of course everyone hated Hobgood. This year, much different approach it seems. I like it.

I hope you realize that D.J. Stewart was the #30 rated overall prospect by BA last year. Not much of a reach(if at all) according to that.

Not to single you out, but this comes up every year: this is not a good way of analyzing draft picks. Past the top 20 or so, there is no real reason to pay attention to third-party ranking numbers. The words that are written about the players, sure, but this isn't the NFL draft. Calling a second- or third-round pick a "reach" based on BA or MLB's lists is silly. There are more than 30 different player rankings compiled each year, and we only get to see two. We have no idea what the "consensus" is, because it's formed primarily by the 30 lists we don't get to see. Hays, for example, is a "steal" by BA's list, but a "reach" by MLB's. In 2011, Jason Esposito was a "steal" while Mike Wright was a "reach." In 2013, Josh Hart was taken right where the rankings had him, while Chance Sisco was taken two rounds too early.

What I'm trying to say is this: make up your own mind. Learn to scout. Watch videos of guys, and talk about what you see. It's not that hard, and if you end up being way wrong, so what? Even the best in the business are wrong all the time.

But then how are we suppose to make an absolute determination today how terrible/incredible DD and Rajsich are at their jobs? I need hot takes

I hope you realize that D.J. Stewart was the #30 rated overall prospect by BA last year. Not much of a reach(if at all) according to that.

He hated Stewart based on five sentences he read online and still won't shut up about how he was "right."

Archived