Gausman is beginning to remind me of Guthrie

Frobby

Gausman's biggest problem is his fastball. And by that I mean he throws way too many of them.

Ding ding ding. Hitters just camp out on the outside corner looking FB. A guy with his FB velocity and movement should be making guys look stupid with any type of a breaking pitch. He throws it 58 feet every time. Wish he was as tough as his tattoo.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's got some talent but at this point he's a fairly mediocre major league starter. Not only are his pitches limited but I believe he doesn't have the emotional makeup to handle the pressure of pitching in the big leagues or in big games. I'm just not seeing this guy ever being a top of the rotation starter.

He's got some talent but at this point he's a fairly mediocre major league starter. Not only are his pitches limited but I believe he doesn't have the emotional makeup to handle the pressure of pitching in the big leagues or in big games. I'm just not seeing this guy ever being a top of the rotation starter.

I feel dejavu. Just insert Arietta for Gausman.

I'm a bit disappointed in Gausman's development too, but I have plenty of hope for him to get closer to what we want.

He's a mid-rotation starter right now but I still feel he has the chance to become something more like a top-of-rotation guy, or at least put together some top-of-rotation type seasons.

Forget Arrieta, Tillman was bad for a few years before he came the more consistently good Tillman we've seen since 2012.

I feel dejavu. Just insert Arietta for Gausman.

Yep. It's not Gausman that stinks IMO. Something else needs fixing. It is too many fastballs.

I know everyone hates the Nats here except for a few but they went out and got Maddox before hiring Dusty Baker even...

Probably a smart move, huh?

Something isn't right in the development process. Lots of theories....we need to hire the smartest guys in the room to get it fixed.

We have no problem spending $$$ on crap starters...it's only a fraction.

Your habit of searching out old, 50 page threads from two years ago is very annoying. Why do I want to read what someone said about a player from two years ago? Let the current threads stand. I'm sure you are disappointed that this forum didn't start 42 years ago because if it did, you could combine a thread about Jim Palmer's announcing with a thread about how he pitched in 74. Enuf already!

Your habit of searching out old, 50 page threads from two years ago is very annoying. Why do I want to read what someone said about a player from two years ago? Let the current threads stand. I'm sure you are disappointed that this forum didn't start 42 years ago because if it did, you could combine a thread about Jim Palmer's announcing with a thread about how he pitched in 74. Enuf already!
That thread was started a month ago and they are basically saying the same thing.

He's pretty much gotten a pass for the lack of run support he receives. In my opinion, from what I have seen from him, it doesn't matter what kind of run support he received. He's going to give up just enough runs to lose more times than not. In other words, if they score five, he'll give up at least six. If they score three, he'll give up at least four.

Today's his second blown lead in a row. Just saying.

But whAt do you want the O's to do with him? He is a need. The O's don't have a

Kershaw type pitcher waiting in the wings. IMO

Wasn't comparing the two. Was simply saying they said the same thing about Arietta. But thanks.

Arrietta and Gausman both lack the will to win. They both fail to inspire their teammates to catch popups or score more runs at the plate. Ship the bums out I say.

Way too early IMO to give up on Gausman. He's been a disappointment this first half, but as others have noted, there are three starters behind him who are even worse, so his starting spot is secure for now.

Sure, if we could put together a package that would get us a true #2 starter - not another Feldman/Norris/Saunders middle-of-the-rotation guy, please! - then, sure, go for it. Just make sure the guy we get gives us a legit shot to win it all this year, so when we watch Gausman go on to greatness with another team, we'll have our shiny new championship trophy to console us.

It's a damn shame his emotional makeup didn't catch that ball last night.

Archived