Gausman is beginning to remind me of Guthrie

Frobby

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That would be easier if Gausman wasn't expected to be a #2 on a division leading team.

Nothing we can do about that. His ERA and peripherals say he's a no. 3 starter right now, and the second best starter on this staff, so we'll keep sending him out there and hope he finds a way to take his game up a notch or two. I'm not optimistic that he can, but even if he doesn't, he should manage to win more often than he has so far this year.

He's pretty much gotten a pass for the lack of run support he receives. In my opinion, from what I have seen from him, it doesn't matter what kind of run support he received. He's going to give up just enough runs to lose more times than not. In other words, if they score five, he'll give up at least six. If they score three, he'll give up at least four.

Today's his second blown lead in a row. Just saying.

I agree, he's a major disappointment in 2016.

I said this 3 years ago and I will say it again: he's destined to be a back end of the bullpen piece either here or somewhere else. We continue to try and fit a square peg into a round hole with him by keeping him as a starter. It's not working. I understand we have few other options now but this offseason we either need to make that transition or move him as part of a deal.

I don't really see why you say it's "not working." His ERA is middle of the pack among qualified AL starters. There's a difference between being disappointing and being bad.

Now of course, I'm the one who started a thread saying I was worried Gausman was becoming another Guthrie. But it's not like Guthrie wasn't a decent starting pitcher.

I don't really see why you say it's "not working." His ERA is middle of the pack among qualified AL starters. There's a difference between being disappointing and being bad.

Now of course, I'm the one who started a thread saying I was worried Gausman was becoming another Guthrie. But it's not like Guthrie wasn't a decent starting pitcher.

If we get 16.5 WAR out of Gausman for 5 years, like we got with Guthrie, I'd be pretty happy with him.

If we get 16.5 WAR out of Gausman for 5 years, like we got with Guthrie, I'd be pretty happy with him.

Were you unhappy when we let Guthrie go? I sure don't recall many here lamenting his departure. So why would you settle for Gausman being another Guthrie? Unless you figure he is much cheaper I don't understand that point of view ?

• 3 weeks later...

(JULY 24th)

Gausman has pitched well in his last 2 games.

His W-L record in those games is 1-1.

Gausman's last 5 starts have been pretty good in total.

32.1 IP

2.48 ERA

9 ER

30 Hits

5 BB

33 K

That's also good for a WHIP of 1.083 in those 5 games.

He is 2-2 with 1 no-decision in that span.

That's # 1/2 quality.

Gausman is starting to look like the pitcher many predicted he could be. Hopefully he continues to build on this and stays consistent. We have seen him be very good for short stretches before.

Gausman is starting to look like the pitcher many predicted he could be. Hopefully he continues to build on this and stays consistent. We have seen him be very good for short stretches before.

Yup, but he has the type of arm to carry a team in the post season. Only guy like him is Bundy. Great things could happen if Gausman comes into his own over the next 3 months.

Last night was the type of performance from Gausman that prompted my OP. In a game we desperately needed, after we got a clutch hit for what seemed like the first time in weeks to take an early 2-0 lead. Gausman immediately coughs up 3 homers in an inning to fall behind. The O's tie it up on a really heady play by Manny, and he immediately coughs up another 3-spot. Way to back up your teammates, Guts....er, Gausman!

OK, irrational tirade over....I hope...

Last night was the type of performance from Gausman that prompted my OP. In a game we desperately needed, after we got a clutch hit for what seemed like the first time in weeks to take an early 2-0 lead. Gausman immediately coughs up 3 homers in an inning to fall behind. The O's tie it up on a really heady play by Manny, and he immediately coughs up another 3-spot. Way to back up your teammates, Guts....er, Gausman!

OK, irrational tirade over....I hope...

I thought of this thread when I saw on my phone Kevin did that. Cant stand prosperity...

Archived