Gausman is beginning to remind me of Guthrie

Frobby

o

(vs. NATIONALS, 8/23)

Gausman was given a substantial lead for the second consecutive outing, and he was able to hold said lead both times.

Today against the Yankees, Gausman WAS NOT given a substantial lead to work with.

A scoreless tie was broken in the top of the 6th inning by a Steve Pearce solo home run.

One inning later, the Orioles got 2 more runs on a Steve Pearce 2-out, 2-strike, 2-RBI single.

Gausman kept the Yankees off of the scoreboard in both of those innings (the 6th and the 7th) after the Orioles scored.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Today against the Yankees, Gausman WAS NOT given a substantial lead to work with.

A scoreless tie was broken in the top of the 6th inning by a Steve Pearce solo home run.

One inning later, the Orioles got 2 more runs on a Steve Pearce 2-out, 2-strike, 2-RBI single.

Gausman kept the Yankees off of the scoreboard in both of those innings (the 6th and the 7th) after the Orioles scored.

Terrific outing by Gausman today, when we needed most and under pressure of a very good outing by the opposing pitcher for most of the game. Kind of a watershed game for him IMO. It will be big for us down the stretch if he can keep pitching like this.

Terrific outing by Gausman today, when we needed most and under pressure of a very good outing by the opposing pitcher for most of the game. Kind of a watershed game for him IMO. It will be big for us down the stretch if he can keep pitching like this.

Awesome he solved those big mental/competitive deficiencies folks were pointing out. Exciting.

The fun thing about the whole "he pitches just well enough to lose" hogwash is that when happenstance corrects you are then able to create a fun new narrative about "how he found his killer instinct."

What a bunch of malarkey...

Stotle, I know you were very high on Gausman. Do you still think he makes the jump to TOR or do you think a lack of a 3rd pitch and command in the strike zone will keep him as a #3?

Awesome he solved those big mental/competitive deficiencies folks were pointing out. Exciting.

Right? And he can't win on the road because of those mental deficiencies. Palmer pointed out during the broadcast Gausman has had eight or nine ND and in only one of those starts did he pitch poorly (4 runs in 5 IP vs Min).

But now, since he got the win he must be heading in the right direction. :rolleyes:

Right? And he can't win on the road because of those mental deficiencies. Palmer pointed out during the broadcast Gausman has had eight or nine ND and in only one of those starts did he pitch poorly (4 runs in 5 IP vs Min).

But now, since he got the win he must be heading in the right direction. :rolleyes:

He's been heading in the right direction all of August -- 2.45 ERA for the month.

My DIY observation of KG over the last month is that he more consistently gets ahead of hitters, particularly with his offspeed stuff, and when folks get on base via bloop hit or error he gets the next guys out instead of going 3-0 and grooving a 97 mph fastball that gets hit for a two run home run.

Gaus seemed to be in constant trouble early that he, sometimes with excellent defense, got out of. Then he settled down and got thru the 7th.

I still think he plays with too much fire but this month has been a good step forward when it was needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know, I was responding to you in the other thread. But is there anyone right now you'd prefer in a big game?

I'd prefer Tillman. if he's healthy. I might prefer Bundy but he needs more rest than they're giving him.

Stotle' date=' I know you were very high on Gausman. Do you still think he makes the jump to TOR or do you think a lack of a 3rd pitch and command in the strike zone will keep him as a #3?[/quote']

I think he's a number 2 -- outside shot at true number 1 and a pretty safe bet to be a strong number 3.

Archived