Roster move coming

wildcard

Your 3 man bench is Pena, Reimold, and who? You have to dump Rickard or Janish, as well as Flaherty. That leaves you out a UTIF or a 4th OF.

I would be keeping Rickard, dumping both Janish and Flaherty once JJ is back and Manny's suspension is served (as you pointed out).

We don't really need a UTIF. Manny can slide to SS and Pedro can slide to 3B in an emergency. Ubaldo is already taking up a bullpen slot, so I see 7 viable arms as a higher priority than a UTIF. Flaherty would be a phone call away if there is an injury.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would be keeping Rickard, dumping both Janish and Flaherty once JJ is back and Manny's suspension is served (as you pointed out).

We don't really need a UTIF. Manny can slide to SS and Pedro can slide to 3B in an emergency. Ubaldo is already taking up a bullpen slot, so I see 7 viable arms as a higher priority than a UTIF. Flaherty would be a phone call away if there is an injury.

I do not believe this will be something that Buck is willing to do. Since he liked having a super util guy on the bench. IMO.

Alvarez has had 3 E's in 8 chances. You don't want him near 3B. And we don't need no stinkin' UTIF? we've only needed two so far. Remember JJ's back spasms. I'm sure Buck does, which is why we aren't seeing a 3 man bench anytime soon.

I do not believe this will be something that Buck is willing to do. Since he liked having a super util guy on the bench. IMO.

Hardy, Manny, and Schoop, all could get hurt at some point. Unless they have to go on the 15 DL you need a UTIF. Janish or Flash.

No way do the O's DFA Rickard. The O's have always been willing to go to any lengths to keep a rule 5. I would guess Janish is gone. The O's can get another Util guy off the waiver wire.

Guys that can play plus defense @ SS on the waiver wire, is not something you normally see.

He has already proven that he will do it. Unless I am just imagining this, he already did it once this year. I would argue the need for 8 relievers is much stronger now with one of them (ubaldo) being completely untrustworthy and the SPs all struggling (except Tillman).

Hardy, Manny, and Schoop, all could get hurt at some point. Unless they have to go on the 15 DL you need a UTIF. Janish or Flash.

Sure. Deal with that if/when the problem arises. Right now, Manny, Schoop and JJ are all everyday players. Why carry a UTIF and repeatedly kill the bullpen?

He has already proven that he will do it. Unless I am just imagining this, he already did it once this year. I would argue the need for 8 relievers is much stronger now with one of them (ubaldo) being completely untrustworthy and the SPs all struggling (except Tillman).

Sure. Deal with that if/when the problem arises. Right now, Manny, Schoop and JJ are all everyday players. Why carry a UTIF and repeatedly kill the bullpen?

Very short time frame and not the entire rest of the season, and a one time occurance, also, go back over the past 4 seasons, does Buck usually have a super UTIF on his bench that he values?

Very short time frame and not the entire rest of the season, and a one time occurance, also, go back over the past 4 seasons, does Buck usually have a super UTIF on his bench that he values?

I didn't think we were talking about anything other than the next roster move.

Hardy completes his three day rehab tonight. So far so good. He could be activated Friday or Saturday. Janish has to be DFA'd. The hope is that he passes through waivers and accepts the assignment to Norfolk.

Manny's suspension means that Hardy will be at short and Flaherty at 3B for those two to four games. Pedro will backup 3B and Flaherty backs up SS while Manny is out.

Gallardo comes of the DL on Saturday. Seems like either Duensing goes or McFarland is optioned. My bet is McFarland is optioned.

These next two starts for Wilson and Wright are important to them staying with the team.

The pen is stressed with Bundy only used every 3 to 5 days and Ubaldo only uses in blow outs. Added workload for Britton, Brach, Givens, Despaingne and Duensing/McFarland.

Worley is not back until the 28th at the earliest.

I can see the Norfolk shuttle being active. Wright or Wilson pitch and then are optioned. Drake and Tolliver could be riding the shuttle.

With Janish's 40 man roster spot open and David Hale vulnerable to being DFA'd. Gunkel or Roe or Richard Rodriguez could be added to the shuttle.

Its not out of question to see Despaigne or Gunkel make a start as the shuttle bring more players into the mix.

JMO

O'Day will be coming back in about a month or so, maybe sooner. When he comes back, then McFarland gets optioned or else Duensing goes.

Archived