The Orioles should lock Zach Britton up

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Orioles would be absolutely stupid to let Zach hit free agency. You have to lock him up. He could go down as one of the best closers in Orioles history.

Britton is already the best closer in Orioles history.

He could make 5/75 as a free agent. Way too much to pay a bullpen arm and it probably takes a similar figure to extend him.

As good as he is, bullpen arms are replaceable. I would consider trading him this offseason for a ransom of prospects.

He's a super 2 in his second year of arbitration.

And I'd rather not pay him what he would cost.

Nice guy and a heckuva pitcher.

I would rather keep him until he hits free agency. I just don't think a closer will fetch much back in return. The Reds didn't even get a single top 100 prospect back in return for Chapman. The Orioles won't get much back either IMO.

I would rather keep him until he hits free agency. I just don't think a closer will fetch much back in return. The Reds didn't even get a single top 100 prospect back in return for Chapman. The Orioles won't get much back either IMO.

Britton's and Chapman's situations are not similar. Chapman is a 1 year rental and was suspended. The Phillies got a big return for Giles.

Chapman was going into his FA year with a looming suspension.

You must have missed all the relievers we've been drafting the last two years. I doubt we'll lock up Britton.

You trade Britton to a team like the Nationals or the Cardinals and you might be able to get a pretty good young pitcher or two back.

I would look at the Craig Kimbrel trade to the Red Sox for a similar comp.

Of course they should sign him. If you wanna win you need talent and you can never have enough talent.

I get so sick of all the posts around here about trading Britton for prospects before he costs too much. Its like a bunch of posters here are so used to losing for 14 years they cant accept having a good team or good players. Trade Britton. Trade Manny. Dont sign Davis. Dont spend on Trumbo.

The Orioles have plenty of $$$$ and can spend if they want to.

Archived