Anyone catch Manny's comments on Saturday about moving back to 3B?

Frobby

I'm a big Manny fan, and I just don't get how some people love to throw stones at the kid.

He's got the problem where he's so talented, that any issue with him is magnified because his expectations are so high. Lebron James syndrome.

For example, he needs to be better at situational awareness sometimes. His gaffs are evident, and they are under the microscope.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's got the problem where he's so talented, that any issue with him is magnified because his expectations are so high. Lebron James syndrome.

For example, he needs to be better at situational awareness sometimes. His gaffs are evident, and they are under the microscope.

Buck mentioned have a quiet talk with Manny last week, and you can tell, he took it to heart.

Manny is awesome - one of the best players in the league, with plenty of upside still to come. This does not surprise me (i.e. that he's a good guy with good perspective).

The whole idea of charging around the base paths like Johnny Baseball is overrated, IMO. Yeah, I agree with running everything out - within reason. And maybe Manny has dogged it a time or two. But it seems like just about every young, elite player goes through this kind of scrutiny. (See Bryce Harper...)

I'm not apologizing for the guy. But when you look at the whole package, it seems ridiculous to ping him TOO hard, given how hard he works in the field, and how productive he is overall.

Let's put it this way - the little MLB-licensed gear we have in our household mostly has Manny's name and number on it. So I'm biased.

I dont blame Manny for having confidence and a bit of cockiness to him.

He is playing a game that millions wish they could, and he plays at such an elite level that he is above most of his peers.

He appears to be on good terms with his teammates and not a problem in the clubhouse.

The future is very bright for the kid.

I'm a big Manny fan, and I just don't get how some people love to throw stones at the kid.

I am sure if Manny had the same act and hit like Flaherty you would have a different opinion. Manny is a great ball player but he needs to start running out ever ball he hits and stop with the getting in fights nonsense. It hurts the team when he is suspended.

I am sure if Manny had the same act and hit like Flaherty you would have a different opinion. Manny is a great ball player but he needs to start running out ever ball he hits and stop with the getting in fights nonsense. It hurts the team when he is suspended.

BULLSHOES

Ventura is a punk who throws at people and there is no excuse for that.

He didn't take a bat out there, and I can pretty much bet you that Buck knew what was going to happen before, since he warned him that Ventura would hit him.

BTW, Buck already had a talk with Manny, not like Manny was dogging it, like Harper or some of the Blue Jay players.

BULLSHOES

He didn't take a bat out there, and I can pretty much bet you that Buck knew what was going to happen before, since he warned him that Ventura would hit him.

BTW, Buck already had a talk with Manny, not like Manny was dogging it, like Harper or some of the Blue Jay players.

This isn't Manny's first suspension.

This isn't Manny's first suspension.

So, he has made mistakes?

I have little tolerance for pitchers that throw intentionally at people.

Tony Conigliaro was never the same player and by all measures that wasn't even intentional pitch.

I suspect with just 4 games and minimal 2,500 fine, that MLB wasn't trying to send him a big message that he was going down the wrong path and better shape up.

BULLSHOES

Nor is there any excuse for charging the mound and starting a brawl, then having everyone act like it was all Ventura's fault. He was pitched inside without being hit and then did what he normally does when he hits a fly

ball that he thinks is gone; he stands there and watches it only he did it while yapping at Ventura and then the ball was caught. If anyone did that to OUR guys, we'd have people in the game threads calling for him to be

hit with a pitch in his next AB. Manny is immune though because he's an Oriole, right?

Second, he does dog it and has been laid into on multiple occasions this year alone by Palmer in the booth. Even Joe Angel commented.

Orioles third baseman Manny Machado raised some eyebrows -- particularly in the Orioles television and radio booths -- over the past two nights for not appearing to hustle on a couple of hits.

He hit a long drive at Fenway Park on Thursday that rattled around the triangle in deep center field and cruised into second base with a double, but Orioles analyst and Hall of Famer Jim Palmer clearly thought that Machado should have hustled all the way to third base on the play.

On Friday night, Machado hit a high fly ball to right field that appeared to have a chance to reach the flag court. He apparently thought so, because when it bounced off the scoreboard he had barely rounded first base and had to settle for a single.

Radio broadcaster Joe Angel also got into the act with a tweet that didn't sugarcoat the situation:

"Come on Manny....run!!!!! Did that at Fenway too. Good thing Trumbo didn't hit into. Double play!!#Orioles"

Just because he's 23 and talented doesn't mean he should get a free pass for dogging it. He has thrown a bat at players on the field and charged the mound now on top of that. Keep making excuses for him and it will

be another "Manny being Manny" situation with this Manny, too. I find it amusing that people on here have, on multiple occasions, called for and advocated for other players being hit with pitches from OUR pitchers, yet

it's wrong to throw at Orioles players. Now, why is that?

So, he has made mistakes?

I have little tolerance for pitchers that throw intentionally at people.

Tony Conigliaro was never the same player and by all measures that wasn't even intentional pitch.

I suspect with just 4 games and minimal 2,500 fine, that MLB wasn't trying to send him a big message that he was going down the wrong path and better shape up.

So those 4 games the team will be without their best hitter? How many times has Adam Jones been suspended?

I didn't mean for this thread to become a referendum on everything Manny's ever done. But there have been some suggestions by a minority here that Manny could develop into a "clubhouse problem," and I just see zero evidence for that. He's a loyal teammate who wants to win.

I find it amusing that people on here have, on multiple occasions, called for and advocated for other players being hit with pitches from OUR pitchers, yet

it's wrong to throw at Orioles players. Now, why is that?

I have never ever advocated that, that is old store baseball. Buck also doesn't agree with that.

Did you miss the part about Buck having a quiet chat with Manny? Buck took care of that, what do you want, you want to get complaining about it? Has Manny repeated not running out the hits?

Ventura is a punk and has been suspended multiple times for throwing at players, his own teammates are tired of his act?

I didn't mean for this thread to become a referendum on everything Manny's ever done. But there have been some suggestions by a minority here that Manny could develop into a "clubhouse problem," and I just see zero evidence for that. He's a loyal teammate who wants to win.

Exactly.

Some posters have ill will for Manny, they were the same way on FB and on MASN.

I don't get it.

I agree with both sides of this?

Manny is a good kid and a tremendous baseball player. He also has been caught looking instead of running. Also cost us a run in Toronto by not realizing there were two outs. Got thrown out at home from 2nd on a double. To be all he can be, he needs to minimize the mental errors. I believe it's perfectly valid to mention them and hope they get corrected

Archived