Anyone catch Manny's comments on Saturday about moving back to 3B?

Frobby

I believe that the chemistry aspect is woefully underrated.

MSK

I agree... to a point. Chemistry doesn't give you a 2 RBI single walkoff in the bottom of the 9th. But chemistry is definitely a thing. How big a thing I still don't know.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would think they have a lot to do with liking him as a.player. How many lousy players.do you like?

Most ever player people on here hate is a great player: Ortiz, Bautista, Arod, Bonds. I doubt too many people on other teams hate Flaherty and Rickard.

Manny is a joy to watch and says and does a lot of positive things, especially regarding his team mates and coaches. Doesn't mean he is perfect and above reproach when he says or does something dumb, cocky, or silly.

Manny is a joy to watch and says and does a lot of positive things, especially regarding his team mates and coaches. Doesn't mean he is perfect and above reproach when he says or does something dumb, cocky, or silly.

Exactly. I don't condone him failing to run hard on two hits last week, and I am glad Buck spoke to him about it. I wasn't too crazyu about him charging Ventura, but I sure didn't get the impression that it caused any problems in the clubhouse -- to the contrary, both Buck and the players backed him up.

But none of that relates to my OP. I was addressing the specific issue of whether Manny is somehow unhappy in Baltimore or whether he is disgruntled about playing 3B in deference to Hardy, and whether any of that suggests that he is, or is likely to become, a "problem in the clubhouse." And I simply see no evidence to support that view.

Exactly. I don't condone him failing to run hard on two hits last week, and I am glad Buck spoke to him about it. I wasn't too crazyu about him charging Ventura, but I sure didn't get the impression that it caused any problems in the clubhouse -- to the contrary, both Buck and the players backed him up.

But none of that relates to my OP. I was addressing the specific issue of whether Manny is somehow unhappy in Baltimore or whether he is disgruntled about playing 3B in deference to Hardy, and whether any of that suggests that he is, or is likely to become, a "problem in the clubhouse." And I simply see no evidence to support that view.

IMO

I dont see Manny unhappy here or disgruntled playing 3rd.

I dont see him being a problem in the clubhouse.

Like you said, there is no evidence to back any of that up.

Manny is a great player and seems to be a great team mate. But, every player has things they need to improve on. Manny needs to decrease the number of mental errors. Not running out long fly balls, forgetting how many outs there are. If Buck doesn't talk to him about it, it would be a disservice to Manny and would send the wrong message to the rest of the team. I'm not saying that Buck needs to make a big deal of it and I'm certainly not advocating bringing it up in public or in front of the other players. But, part of Bucks job is to make his players better and that includes superstars and role players alike.

Manny is a great player and seems to be a great team mate. But, every player has things they need to improve on. Manny needs to decrease the number of mental errors. Not running out long fly balls, forgetting how many outs there are. If Buck doesn't talk to him about it, it would be a disservice to Manny and would send the wrong message to the rest of the team. I'm not saying that Buck needs to make a big deal of it and I'm certainly not advocating bringing it up in public or in front of the other players. But, part of Bucks job is to make his players better and that includes superstars and role players alike.

Let's see Manny failed to run hard out of the box twice and forgot the number of outs once.Buck doesn't need to make a big deal of it but we do? It's not like these things are habitual.

Nor is there any excuse for charging the mound and starting a brawl, then having everyone act like it was all Ventura's fault. He was pitched inside without being hit and then did what he normally does when he hits a fly

ball that he thinks is gone; he stands there and watches it only he did it while yapping at Ventura and then the ball was caught. If anyone did that to OUR guys, we'd have people in the game threads calling for him to be

hit with a pitch in his next AB. Manny is immune though because he's an Oriole, right?

Second, he does dog it and has been laid into on multiple occasions this year alone by Palmer in the booth. Even Joe Angel commented.

Just because he's 23 and talented doesn't mean he should get a free pass for dogging it. He has thrown a bat at players on the field and charged the mound now on top of that. Keep making excuses for him and it will

be another "Manny being Manny" situation with this Manny, too. I find it amusing that people on here have, on multiple occasions, called for and advocated for other players being hit with pitches from OUR pitchers, yet

it's wrong to throw at Orioles players. Now, why is that?

Yeah - I want a whole team of Ryan Flahertys... gamers who never "dog it."

Let's see Manny failed to run hard out of the box twice and forgot the number of outs once.Buck doesn't need to make a big deal of it but we do? It's not like these things are habitual.

Nothing we do matters to Manny. We don't have to say anything, nor should we be vilified if we dare mention the fact that Manny needs to cut down on his mental mistakes to reach his fullest potential.

Nothing we do matters to Manny. We don't have to say anything, nor should we be vilified if we dare mention the fact that Manny needs to cut down on his mental mistakes to reach his fullest potential.

As do all players. But do you feel that Manny makes more mental mistakes than most players? Personally, I'd say he has made more this year than in the past, but that over his young career, I do not feel he has been more prone to mental mistakes than most players.

Do you think he makes more than most?

Thanks for clarifying.

As do all players. But do you feel that Manny makes more mental mistakes than most players? Personally, I'd say he has made more this year than in the past, but that over his young career, I do not feel he has been more prone to mental mistakes than most players.

I think there has been a rash of them as of late. I think there are enough lately so that Buck shouldn't just laugh them off. A little private nudge should suffice at this point.

Archived