Fix the SP, and you have a Playoff team

21xxxv

As was the case last year, the weakness in the off-season, and then as it transitioned into the 2015 season was corner OF play and a LHP in the pen with the loss of Cruz, Markakis and Miller. The bigger joke was thinking Snyder, Pearce and Delmon Young could handle that void.

Last off season the world knew we losing Chen, with a suspect SP staff to begin with would make 2016 SP a glaring need. Here we are June 20th, and to make matters worse Gausman the prize #1 pick is winless. If this team is serious about the second half of the season they will act. For some predicable reason, I feel they will sign a journeyman and yet a gain count on a miracle. I don't see it. Both Toronto and Boston have better SP and both score more runs.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ridiculous timing on this post considering we just took 4 of 6 from Bos and TOR' date=' including by scores of 3-2, 5-1, and 4-2. Not exactly slugfests.

We need to improve our staff sure. But TOR and Bos are not better than we are.[/quote']

Well, let's look at their starting rotations

Boston

David Price - 4.24 ERA, but last 8 games a 2.47 ERA

Steven Wright - 2.22 ERA

Rick Porcello - 3.76 ERA

Eduardo Rodriguez - 6.97 ERA

Clay Buchholz - 5.86 ERA

Toronto

Marcus Stroman - 5.23 ERA

R.A. Dickey - 4.08 ERA

Marco Estrada - 2.58 ERA

J.A. Happ - 3.41 ERA

Aaron Sanchez - 3.35 ERA

Baltimore

Chris Tillman - 3.11 ERA

Kevin Gausman - 4.14 ERA

Yovani Gallardo - 6.26 ERA, but off the DL and velocity is a bit better

Tyler Wilson - 4.16 ERA

Mike Wright/Ubaldo Jimenez - 6.12 ERA, 7.34 ERA

I think Toronto has the edge by far as they have 4 competent starters, 3 of which have been very effective. Aaron Sanchez will eventually be relegated to the bullpen to control his innings, but until then this is a very solid rotation.

Boston's rotation is actually on the rise. It looked incredibly shakey to start the season because David Price was bad. But he's back to being the David Price of old over the last ~2 months. Wright is having a Cy Young season. Porcello has been a solid #3. Their #4 and #5 are nothing to write home about. With that said, Eduardo Rodriguez is their wild card. If he ends up being ERod from last year, they're in a good spot. Apparently he's going back to his delivery from last year, so TBD.

The Orioles rotation is in flux. Tillman has been a very good #1 for the O's. Gausman has been poor lately (5.32 ERA in his last 8 starts, 887 OPS against). Tyler Wilson has been solid. But #4 and #5 have been a travesty. Hopefully Yovani can buoy the staff, but until he does so the Orioles have the worst rotation in the division by far...and nearly in all of MLB.

I think we're already a playoff team with the rotation as it is. I don't think they can win the WS with this rotation, though. If the title of this thread was, "Fix the Rotation, and you have a WS winning team," then I think more would agree with you.

As was the case last year, the weakness in the off-season, and then as it transitioned into the 2015 season was corner OF play and a LHP in the pen with the loss of Cruz, Markakis and Miller. The bigger joke was thinking Snyder, Pearce and Delmon Young could handle that void.

Last off season the world knew we losing Chen, with a suspect SP staff to begin with would make 2016 SP a glaring need. Here we are June 20th, and to make matters worse Gausman the prize #1 pick is winless. If this team is serious about the second half of the season they will act. For some predicable reason, I feel they will sign a journeyman and yet a gain count on a miracle. I don't see it. Both Toronto and Boston have better SP and both score more runs.

Have you looked at the standings recently?

We have a playoff team.

If the O's rotation was as bad as some think, they would be losing every game 15-11.

Worst starting rotations by ERA:

1. Minnesota - 5.61

2. Oakland - 5.18

3. Colorado - 5.16

4. Baltimore - 4.94

5. Cincinnati - 4.94

...with the 4th least innings pitched, no complete games thrown, 8th highest batting average against in all of MLB.

In the AL? 3rd highest batting average against, 4th lowest strikeouts, 2nd lowest innings pitched and 3rd highest ERA.

While the O's offense is above average and their bullpen is second best in all of MLB, their rotation is awful.

Rotation ERA by year for O's:

2016: 4.94

2015: 4.53

2014: 3.61

2013: 4.57

2012: 4.42

The offense and bullpen carries this team by far. But they drastically need Gausman to get his ish back together and Gallardo to really step up big.

1. Minnesota - 5.61

2. Oakland - 5.18

3. Colorado - 5.16

4. Baltimore - 4.94

5. Cincinnati - 4.94

...with the 4th least innings pitched, no complete games thrown, 8th highest batting average against in all of MLB.

In the AL? 3rd highest batting average against, 4th lowest strikeouts, 2nd lowest innings pitched and 3rd highest ERA.

While the O's offense is above average and their bullpen is second best in all of MLB, their rotation is awful.

The offense and bullpen carries this team by far. But they drastically need Gausman to get his ish back together and Gallardo to really step up big.

Yep. O's suck and it's all Dan's fault. We know. We cool. :cool:

Yep. O's suck and it's all Dan's fault. We know. We cool. :cool:

On the contrary. The O's rotation sucks. And yes, that is Dan's fault. But certainly the bullpen and offense has been doing their damndest to make up for it.

But man, that chip on your shoulder is HUGE, El Gordo. You might need to see a doctor before it bleeds out. :)

I am worried that Tillman's production isn't sustainable, and we have been far too reliant on him to stop losing streaks. After him there is no guy we can depend on to win the majority of the time. Tillman is 11-1 and that has basically been the difference between us and .500, even with our loaded offense. That scares me. What if Tillman gets hurt for any length of time or just slides back to his career norms?

I am worried that Tillman's production isn't sustainable, and we have been far too reliant on him to stop losing streaks. After him there is no guy we can depend on to win the majority of the time. Tillman is 11-1 and that has basically been the difference between us and .500, even with our loaded offense. That scares me. What if Tillman gets hurt for any length of time or just slides back to his career norms?

You can play the what-if card, all day long.

Baseball is a game of inches, and things have played with for this team, so far.

Going to enjoy it, as long as I can, winning baseball is so much easier to stomach than the alternative.

The results say the starting pitching is good enough.

I'd upgrade starters if possible, yes. But at what cost?

I'm wondering if bolstering the bullpen isn't a better choice. Ride out the starters until Sept 1 then carry a 16 man pitching staff so starters do not need to go deep into games.

Cheaper and easier then acquiring a better starting pitcher.

1. Minnesota - 5.61

2. Oakland - 5.18

3. Colorado - 5.16

4. Baltimore - 4.94

5. Cincinnati - 4.94

Nice post. It's good to see facts. Fans are delusional if they feel this team is OK at SP.

Archived