Buck is going to want to sign Trumbo long term

wildcard

Not sure I agree with your reasoning. The rate goes up because of the increase in market contracts. So pending FA should have a comparable increase in their expected long-term contract amounts. We likely see an increase in players taking the QO as the number of players offered to (and of declining value overall) increases.

It was only a matter of time, before somebody took the QO, a combination of mistakes the season before the amount of money it had gone up too set the tone for this season.

With the money at 17 million, I suspect more players will jump at that one time deal, and then do a 3 for 30, etc.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just listening to Buck talk about Trumbo's work habits, power, consistency and Trumbo as a person makes me think Buck will be lobbying to sign Mark long term.

This is not a mid thirties Nelson Cruz. This is a 30 year old (31 next year). He is a major nugget that makes the O's win.

This could be an expensive off season. Manny, Tillman, Trumbo are three players that O's need to locked up. A lot more deferred money coming.

Wieters probably gets a QO again but my guess is the O's are not going 4 or 5 years for a 31 year old catcher. Some team will offer Wieters the years he wants though.

Alvarez and Reimold also seem like free agents that may leave. The O's are more likely to go young with Mancini and Yaz.

JMO, what do you think?

Definitely QO Wieters and Trumbo. Explore if Alvarez and Reimold can be resigned reasonably. As for resigning Trumbo - if resigning Trumbo would not negatively affect our chances of resigning Manny, I'd be all for it. But keeping Manny here long-term has to be the number one priority.

QO and move on. Same w/ Wieters.

You can't just keep paying 30+ year olds based on career years. You'll end up having to cut guys like Miguel Gonzalez and trading comp picks to absorb poor relief contracts like Matusz. I mean, come on. We'll turn into the Phillies.

Just listening to Buck talk about Trumbo's work habits, power, consistency and Trumbo as a person makes me think Buck will be lobbying to sign Mark long term.

This is not a mid thirties Nelson Cruz. This is a 30 year old (31 next year). He is a major nugget that makes the O's win.

This could be an expensive off season. Manny, Tillman, Trumbo are three players that O's need to locked up. A lot more deferred money coming.

Wieters probably gets a QO again but my guess is the O's are not going 4 or 5 years for a 31 year old catcher. Some team will offer Wieters the years he wants though.

Alvarez and Reimold also seem like free agents that may leave. The O's are more likely to go young with Mancini and Yaz.

JMO, what do you think?

We need to sign MM before Trumbo. Signing an huge impact player at 24 years old should be Duquette's #1 off season priority.

Trumbomb is a fly ball hitter and this park is made for fly ball hitters. I would throw something mid range at him see if he bites. If he doesnt then you either up the offer or QO him.

Mancini and Yaz are unproven. And if the Os are serious about competing the next 3-4 years it might be worth trying to get Trumbomb to sign. Tillman and Machado are a priority. Trumbomb is a luxury.

I say offer both market value contracts and if they don't accept, offer them qualifying offers. I'm in the minority on this board because I consider team chemistry vital to the Orioles success and both those guys are a big part of it. I believe that a teams success can't be determined by the addition of the players individual wars. We don't have ready replacements for either of them so pay them what they are worth and if some team wants to throw wild money at them, rebuild the farm

Trumbomb is a fly ball hitter and this park is made for fly ball hitters. I would throw something mid range at him see if he bites. If he doesnt then you either up the offer or QO him.

Mancini and Yaz are unproven. And if the Os are serious about competing the next 3-4 years it might be worth trying to get Trumbomb to sign. Tillman and Machado are a priority. Trumbomb is a luxury.

While I agree that Manny and Tillman are priorities, I am not sure Trumbo is a luxury if the O's want to win.

2014 Nelson Cruz, O's Division Champs

2016 Trumbo, O's in first place

Trumbo or someone like him may be a difference maker.

QO and move on. Same w/ Wieters.

You can't just keep paying 30+ year olds based on career years. You'll end up having to cut guys like Miguel Gonzalez and trading comp picks to absorb poor relief contracts like Matusz. I mean, come on. We'll turn into the Phillies.

Do we have a history of repeatedly paying 30 year olds for career years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I agree that Manny and Tillman are priorities, I am not sure Trumbo is a luxury if the O's want to win.

2014 Nelson Cruz, O's Division Champs

2016 Trumbo, O's in first place

Trumbo or someone like him may be a difference maker.

Well, you need better performance than we got from last year's collection of corner OF's, that much is clear. But you do have to consider what else the team needs. And, we shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves here based on 71 games from a player who has a track record of doing better in the first half of the season. This is a subject to revisit at the end of the year.

Well, you need better performance than we got from last year's collection of corner OF's, that much is clear. But you do have to consider what else the team needs. And, we shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves here based on 71 games from a player who has a track record of doing better in the first half of the season. This is a subject to revisit at the end of the year.

Sure. The O's probably will not decide until after Trumbo is a FA. And sees what the market is for him. But we can talk about it now. What else is there to do on an off day?

So on further investigation current MLB Union Contract expires on: Dec. 1, 2016. There is talk that MLB would trade getting rid of QO system in exchange for International Draft. I am not sure how this off-season plays out if there is no contract by the time. As this past year I think the deadline to accept QO was November 13th. I would think if there was no contract how could you have QO system in place?

Archived