Buck is going to want to sign Trumbo long term

wildcard

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So on further investigation current MLB Union Contract expires on: Dec. 1, 2016. There is talk that MLB would trade getting rid of QO system in exchange for International Draft. I am not sure how this off-season plays out if there is no contract by the time. As this past year I think the deadline to accept QO was November 13th. I would think if there was no contract how could you have QO system in place?

It's a great question, and one that I've raised before. I assume that MLB will try very hard to reach an agreement with the union a couple of months before the deadline. FWIW, the last deal was reached on November 22, 2011, and the prior one on October 24, 2006. So, it's possible to get it done before the QO date arrives, though it won't necessarily happen that way.

While I agree that Manny and Tillman are priorities, I am not sure Trumbo is a luxury if the O's want to win.

2014 Nelson Cruz, O's Division Champs

2016 Trumbo, O's in first place

Trumbo or someone like him may be a difference maker.

Granted in 2015 DD whiffed badly, in 2014 and 2016 he was able to find quality power hitting bats on the cheap.

DD got two this year in Trumbo and Alvarez. I think that in most years, finding a guy who can hit homers at The Yard will not be as much of a problems as finding a quality pitcher who can pitch in the AL East.

Trumbo has probably stayed a little hotter this year than he normally does, but he did start to slide for a few weeks.

Career wise his OPS for months are as follows

April .843

May .889

June .715

July .749

August .728

Sept/Oct .692

Can Baltimore keep him at DH? Historically his splits as a DH are much better than anywhere else hitting at a .783 clip. Does he get tired after playing the field too often?

Do we have a history of repeatedly paying 30 year olds for career years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, but it's a rehashed concept on this forum.

We have a lot of money tied up in Hardy, Ubaldo, Gallardo, Davis, Jones, soon to be Britton and we need to pay guys like Tillman and Machado.

No, but it's a rehashed concept on this forum.

We have a lot of money tied up in Hardy, Ubaldo, Gallardo, Davis, Jones, soon to be Britton and we need to pay guys like Tillman and Machado.

Davis is the only one other than jones with a commitment beyond 2017.

And can't be keeping excess value deals like AJ on the books...

In fact there is not that much money tied up long term. Just Davis.

I think Boras will price Wieters out of the O's spending range

I doubt the O's pick up Hardy contract option in 2018 for 14m. They may sign him for less but his doesn't hit like he used to and he is more injury prone.

Neither Manny or Tillman will be at their peak salaries in 2017. Tillman has one more year under O's control and Manny has two years. They are probably in the 10-12m range next year.

The O's are big on deferring and backloading salaries.

Bundy and Wilson are probably cheap starters for the next few years.

All this adds up to the O's being able to sign Trumbo long term if they want to. I completely agree that he has to perform well of the rest of the season. But if the feeling is that he is hitting better because he is playing in Camden Yards and the smaller parks in the east then passed season numbers are not as important as what the O's project his can do for them.

Trumbo is not as high-quality a hitter as Nelson Cruz. That Trumbo will be a few years younger than was Cruz at free-agent time might make those two comparables from a contract point of view, but I don't see locking up Trumkbo as a good move. Sure, QO him and Wieters and hope they both walk. Trumbo's agent will want 5/75 and take 4/55 or something. Some team will throw 3/40 at Wieters. Take the picks where you can get them. Neither will be coming back for the QO -- which will probably be more like $16.1.

Lock up Manny! Lock up Schoop!

Mancini's swing is gorgeous. He will translate to MLB.

Archived