Who pitches the Doubleheader and who is the 26th man?

wildcard

The O's can add a 26th man for one game of the doubleheader tomorrow. If you give Buck an extra man he is going to want to use him. So who?

ESPN has Gallardo pitching tonight. Tillman and Gausman tomorrow and Wilson on Sunday. Against a division rival like the Rays that is putting the best the O's have in the games. Sounds about right.

Jimenez pitched decent against the Padres and that is who the O's face on Tuesday. So Buck might do that again.

So who does Buck and Dan call up as the 26th man?

Wright just pitched on the 22nd. Its not him.

Roe is pitching well but he doesn't have an option and would have to be DFA'd to send him back down. That is not happening.

Beato - no option.

Richard Rodrigeuz is pitching well. But just pitched 3 inning last night. Its not him.

Aquino is on the 40 man but he just gave up 5 homers in 5 IP in this last outing. Probably not him.

McFarland gave up 4 runs in 5 innings in his first start in Norfolk in a month. That was on the 20th. He is available to pitch probably out of the pen.

Gunkel is also available. He pitched on the 19th. He probably would not start but could be in the pen. He would have to added to the 40 man roster. There is a opening with Janish being DFA'd

And then there is Sharlon Schoop who is reported to be in Baltimore. Its could be him.

So McFarland, Gunkel or Sharlon. Take your pick.

Did I miss anyone?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One question.

They don't have to announce the 26th man, until a few minutes before the 2nd game, right?

This way, they could have a couple of options at their disposal, depending on how the first game goes??????

To do that the O's have to have a couple of options in town. The media generally tells us who is in town.

Pretty sure they get the 26th man for both games. The game was rescheduled prior to 48 hours before so if I understand the rules correct the 26th man is for both games.

TJ if healthy makes the most sense to me.

You are correct.

I found the rules:

Beginning on MLB Opening Day up through August 31st, a club can temporarily add (recall or select) a 26th player to its MLB Active List on any day where two games are scheduled, as long as the second game was scheduled at least 48 hours in advance. If the second game was scheduled less than 48 hours in advance, a 26th man can be temporarily added to a club's MLB Active List for the second game of the doubleheader only.
  1. The "26th man" must be on the club's MLB Reserve List (40-man roster) or has to be added to the club's 40-man roster that day.
  2. The "26th man" does not have to be a pitcher.
  3. In the case of a doubleheader that is scheduled at least 48 hours in advance, the 26-man Active List limit is in effect for both games of the doubleheader, but the "26th man" cannot be switched between games.
  4. A player can be added to a club's Active List as the "26th man" even if he has not spent the minimum required 10 days on optional or outright assignment prior to being added.
  5. The player who was recalled as the "26th man" can remain on the Active List and a different player can be dropped the next day, as long as the "26th man" was not called up prior to spending at least ten days on optional assignment. NOTE: A player called up as the "26th man" prior to spending at least ten days on Optional Assignment could remain on the 25-man roster if the player replaces a player who is placed on the Disabled List (or other MLB inactive list) the day after the doubleheader.
  6. If a player is recalled as the "26th man" and is optioned back to the minors the next day, the "10-day rule" clock (prohibiting a player from being recalled until he has spent at least ten days on Optional Assignment, unless he is replacing a player who is placed on the DL or other MLB inactive list) does not start over again. However many days toward ten that the player spent on Optional Assignment prior to being recalled as the "26th man" counts.
  7. A player recalled as a "26th man" accrues one day of MLB Service Time.

The rule is sometimes refered to as the taxi squad, although that term has a wider meaning.

Since we are coming off an off day, our pitchers can simply stay in rotation. Gallardo and Tillman will get an extra day of rest for their spots. Gausman starts game two of the double header on normal rest and we go from there.

We can even skip Ubaldo with another off day coming on 6/27. We really don't need to make a decision on him until after the all star break.

6/24 Gallardo (5 days rest)

6/25-G1 Tillman (5)

6/25-G2 Gausman (4)

6/26 Wilson (4)

6/27 Off

6/28 Gallardo (4)

6/29 Tillman (4)

6/30 Gausman (4)

So who is the 26th man? I don't know. Never hurts to have another bullpen arm for a double header. Could also be an IF to keep from playing JJ back-to-back. Would we be able to add Janish back without having to pass him through waivers again?

Since we are coming off an off day, our pitchers can simply stay in rotation. Gallardo and Tillman will get an extra day of rest for their spots. Gausman starts game two of the double header on normal rest and we go from there.

We can even skip Ubaldo with another off day coming on 6/27. We really don't need to make a decision on him until after the all star break.

6/25-G1 Tillman (5)

6/25-G2 Gausman (4)

6/26 Wilson (4)

6/27 Off

6/28 Gallardo (4)

6/29 Tillman (4)

6/30 Gausman (4)

So who is the 26th man? I don't know. Never hurts to have another bullpen arm for a double header. Could also be an IF to keep from playing JJ back-to-back. Would we be able to add Janish back without having to pass him through waivers again?

Good question.

But Schoop is still in town, or is he?

Do you do that with Janish, or just use Schoop for that game?

6/25-G1 Tillman (5)

6/25-G2 Gausman (4)

6/26 Wilson (4)

6/27 Off

6/28 Gallardo (4)

6/29 Tillman (4)

6/30 Gausman (4)

Your chart is wrong. Tillman would be on the days rest the way you have it set up.

You are incorrect. We do need a 5th starter in San Diego, be it Ubaldo or someone else. Buck will not use one of the four on 3 days rest.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Your chart is wrong. Tillman would be on [three] days rest the way you have it set up.

You are incorrect. We do need a 5th starter in San Diego, be it Ubaldo or someone else. Buck will not use one of the four on 3 days rest.

Gallardo also would be on three days' rest. So we need a starter for Tuesday.

I think you can eliminate Starlon Schoop from consideration now that Manny is back. It will be McFarland or Gunkel, and if I had to guess, I'd say TJ.

Yeah, not only is Manny back, I don't see us adding Starlon to the 40 man and upping his salary to $500K just to play one game.

I agree, unless Gallardo tosses a CG tonight, a pitcher is the most likely option and TJ makes sense if eligible. Only thing about TJ is that he is back in Norfolk as a starter. If the plan is for him to be a 5th starter option, it would be weird to change that plan a week later for a double header that has been on the schedule. But the same would apply to Gunkel (plus he would need to be added to the 40 man. Lee or Aquino would also ensure we have a lefty available both games.

My first thought would be McFarland. He's a Buck favorite, and he gives them flexibility to go several innings if one of the starters goes out early. But then I wonder, why bring Schoop to Baltimore if you weren't going to use him? I dunno, if I had to bet, I guess I'd say McFarland.

Archived