Buck says....

Bumps49

that he is not stretching out Bundy's arm to put him the rotation. I, personally don't believe that. If Bundy is going 4-5 innings in late July, would you put him in as a starter? OR......let him start and trade a MiL prospect(s) for Pomeranz? Seems doable to me and a good idea. Could get us just where we need to be. THOUGHTS?

that he is not stretching out Bundy's arm to put him the rotation. I, personally don't believe that. If Bundy is going 4-5 innings in late July, would you put him in as a starter? OR......let him start and trade a MiL prospect(s) for Pomeranz? Seems doable to me and a good idea. Could get us just where we need to be. THOUGHTS?

Drew Pomeranz is getting to unchartered territory as far his innings pitched per season. This is a red flag for me. When he gets to the 120/130 spot I see a dead arm period that will last for a month or better just when we need him the most. I would pass unless the purpose is to use him out of the Bull-Pen.

I would keep doing what they are doing. If Bundy keeps pitching well he can be planned as a starter next year. Bundy, Gausman, Tillman, Gallardo could be a decent foundation for a rotation next year.

My thoughts are that Bundy WILL start this season maybe a few times, but will not be in the regular rotation till next year. They need a lefty badly. Pomeranz is an option. Rich Hill too when he gets off the DL.I would be less inclined to want Liriano.

I agree with you. I think they are setting Bundy up to take Wilson's place in the rotation but I would plan for Bundy and another arm to be ready to go. I really like Pomeranz but he's going to cost a lot.

Drew Pomeranz is getting to unchartered territory as far his innings pitched per season. This is a red flag for me. When he gets to the 120/130 spot I see a dead arm period that will last for a month or better just when we need him the most. I would pass unless the purpose is to use him out of the Bull-Pen.

Seems to me you gotta factor in that he hasn't had major innings before because he's never been more than a spot starter. But I'm not sure the O's have the minor league depth to be able to afford him.

This has been covered before in regards to Bundy. He's keeping him on a 3-4 day rest cycle to simulate a starters schedule, to help build his arm and get him ready to be in the rotation next season, with him getting about 70 innings on his arm this year. He will not be in the rotation this year. It would be a 180 from everything they've said to this point. You may see him get 1-2 spot starts in the 2nd half with a strict inning/pitch count, but that's it.

Bundy is at 33 IP. I think they keep him at 3 innings (on average) every 5 days for the next 14 outings. That has him at 75 IP in early September. Then they shut him down for the year.

September first the roster expands and the O's add a bunch of pitchers. Guys like Wright, Tolliver, Roe, Richard Rodriguez, Gunkel, etc will be added. As many as the 40 man roster will allow them to have. So if a starter goes 3 or 4 innings in September its no big deal.

Bundy starts next year.

Buck says there are three seasons and he manages the pitching staff differently for each one. April - August is one. September 1st to the end to the season is two. And the playoff are a different game.

Dan will try to add a starter by the end of July but there are no guarantees that will happen.

When rosters expand on September 1, Bundy may get a start depending on where the O's are in the standings. It may allow other starters to get an extra day off before a stretch run. He is unlikely to do it before then IMO. If he gets to 100 innings cleanly it will be a great year. It is unfortunate that Bundy has to learn the trade in the bigs. There is no sense rushing him.

I don't think Buck is writing it off:

“We’re going to try to stay on it, but sometimes the game dictates that he has to pitch with less than three or four days’ rest. When you say that’s what starting pitchers work on, that’s encouraging. We know where we want to get him innings-wise and we want to by the end of the year thinking about him potentially doing more.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/06/showalter-speaks-after-series-sweep.html

Archived