BP: Baltimore's Annual Surprise Party

Frobby

Buck has some input, but he ultimately isn't the one assembling the roster.

All Managers have to make compromises on defense and offense every night based on the task at hand. To say he doesn't care about outfield defense is pretty silly. He does.

If we had a roster full of guys who were perfectly balanced players and required no offense to defense trade-offs, then that'd be awesome. Let me know when you find that team.

Buck never had to play Young in the outfield. He didn't have to play Flaherty in the OF at Fenway earlier this year.

Those are his choices.

He isn't a defense first guy in the outfield, he just isn't.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just wanted to say he was older than Nick before Weams had a chance to. ;)

I actually think the injury thing with Reimold is a bit overplayed. He had one very serious injury with a difficult recovery. You take that one admittedly big deal out of the equation and his track record isn't that bad.

Achilles and two broken necks not too serious?

He played Young in the outfield!

He played Flaherty in the outfield!

He played Cruz in the outfield!

His reputation outweighs the reality.

If you put those players on the roster, he'll try to find ways to play them. And let's not pretend that Duquette tries to pull Buck's strings a la Billy Beane.

If you put those players on the roster, he'll try to find ways to play them. And let's not pretend that Duquette tries to pull Buck's strings a la Billy Beane.

You put Young and Cruz at DH and Flaherty at second, third or short.

There was no need to put Young in the outfield.

Archived