Some things about Jim Palmer I never knew previously

Filmstudy

I knew he was adopted, but his mother was married to a garment industry exec who died while Jim was young. She then met and married Max Palmer, and actor and professional wrestler, from whom he took his name.

Max was cited as being the 2nd tallest professional wrestler ever, with a height of 7'7".

His Wiki entry says he never allowed back-to-back HRs, which I didn't think likely, but the first multi-HR game I checked from the end of his career (9/1/83), he allowed consecutive HRs to Whitt and Barfield in the 4th innning.

The claim also exists that he never allowed a grand slam, which was gospel growing up. However, I'd like to know if anyone here has actually checked from game logs?

There was a tall wrestler named Max Palmer but this is not the same Max Palmer that adopted Jim Palmer after marrying his mother.

Was the man who adopted Jim an actor? Because it looks like I may have stepped in Wikipoop.

In trying to read more about Palmer's family, I came across this endorsement from a Jockey exec:

Palmer turned out to be so dependable in his public appearances that Jockey was shocked. "You tell Palmer when and where to be, and he's there. That's one reason we made him the company's spokesman," says a Jockey official. "We've had to do amazing things to get players--even Pete Rose--where they were supposed to be. Sometimes a limousine isn't enough. You need somebody to wake the guy, get him dressed and in the limousine."

Given what we know about these 2 men now, I just had to laugh.

Here's a link to the article. It's very long, but an outstanding read:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/27/will-the-real-jim-palmer-please-stand-up.html

In trying to read more about Palmer's family, I came across this endorsement from a Jockey exec:

Palmer turned out to be so dependable in his public appearances that Jockey was shocked. "You tell Palmer when and where to be, and he's there. That's one reason we made him the company's spokesman," says a Jockey official. "We've had to do amazing things to get players--even Pete Rose--where they were supposed to be. Sometimes a limousine isn't enough. You need somebody to wake the guy, get him dressed and in the limousine."

Given what we know about these 2 men now, I just had to laugh.

Here's a link to the article. It's very long, but an outstanding read:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/09/27/will-the-real-jim-palmer-please-stand-up.html

Jim Palmer chiaroscuro

jim-palmer-jockey-briefs-2.jpg

In the Jockey ad, half of Jim Palmer's princely, brooding face is fully lighted, the other half is masked in shadow. This chiaroscuro portrait, intended only to sell underwear, comes alarmingly close to capturing the man. Or rather, it hints at how elusive a clear view of the dichotomous Palmer can be.

Jim Palmer chiaroscuro, ...or rather, it hints at how elusive a clear view of the dichotomous Palmer can be". Boswell

jim-palmer-jockey-briefs-2.jpg

I think that nowadays with Twitter and his near nightly offerings with Thorne, we see a more complete Palmer. Roy's book brings another side also. Oh yeah, IMHorridO. Check out Dan Shaughnessy's piece in the Boston Rag, which contains this Beantown snippet:

"His connections to the Red Sox and New England are many. Palmer threw 177 pitches in an April start at Fenway in 1966 and also homered off Dave Morehead in an 8-1 win. He injured his arm while facing Billy Conigliaro in a rehab start at Wahconah Park in Pittsfield in 1968. He gave up five homers to the Sox (Butch Hobson, Jim Rice, George Scott, and two by Carlton Fisk) in a single game in 1977. His daughter, Jamie, lives on the Cape and one of Palmer’s closest Oriole friends was the late Mike Flanagan of Manchester, N.H., and UMass. Palmer’s lifelong friend, former teammate Davey Leonhard, owns a chain of floral shops in Beverly."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2016/06/13/jim-palmer-one-baseball-timeless-treasures/kYlqqaGFQZbWHPRacgEGpO/story.html

Archived