NYP: Get Off My Lawn!

weams

http://nypost.com/2016/07/10/how-yankees-bullpen-use-shows-everything-wrong-with-mlb/

...the 1959 Dodgers-White Sox World Series, and stuck through strikes, $10 cups of cheap beer and as the anabolic blew past Roger Maris, then Hank Aaron on MLB's no-windows-in-the-counting-house watch.

But baseball's current conditions have shaken my unconditional love. The Game - how it's played and managed - has become confusing, short on the practical, here-and-now application of winning baseball.

If they’re good, trade none of them! Let them pitch; let them pitch when good pitching is needed, not when The Book — there is no Book, never was! — beckons. But what do I know? I just work here.

Wait, Brian Kenny says that other stuff?

91sn32Q.jpg?fb

Maybe the most enduring tradition of baseball is turning 78 and talking about how the game has drifted off into an unrecognizable morass of lunacy. This has been a constant for well over 100 years. You can read essentially the same article in an 1892 copy of The Sporting News.

Ironically many sabremetricians would probably agree with some of his vaguely-made points... Your best pitcher doesn't need to be your closer, sometimes situations in the 5th or 6th inning are more important than the 8th or 9th, etc.

There may even be reason to consider being more aggressive to keep a close deficit from getting larger, at least for one inning depending on who in your lineup is slated to appear. Of course someone who was actually interested in KNOWING whether that was true would try to find some evidence and build a case rather than just blithering on about how dumb these managers are.

The actual problem with the Yankees is the starting pitching isn't very good and they don't score very many runs. Getting an extra 30-40 innings out of Chapman / Betances / Miller won't really move the needle too much.

Ironically many sabremetricians would probably agree with some of his vaguely-made points... Your best pitcher doesn't need to be your closer, sometimes situations in the 5th or 6th inning are more important than the 8th or 9th, etc.

Most of the analysis of bullpen use seems to be how to best utilize scarce resources (in this case, one clearly dominant reliever). When you have something like three of the best five relievers in the world just throwing them out there for the 7th-9th of games where you're tied or ahead by a few runs is probably 95% of optimal. The only thing they might do better is allow for the very occasional earlier/longer appearance, and bring them in down by a run. It's really not often that a pre-7th inning situation will clearly be more important than later ones in a way that you plan for; usually that will happen when your offense scores late and you can't predict that.

“Our guys don’t dwell on conventionality. This has got to be done on the team to do this, you’ve got to walk 80 times to do this. Starters have to go 7 innings every night. Who says you do? We don’t always follow a script. There are some constants we want to do if we want to get where we want to go.

“We’ve got another level. We always think we’ve got another level. Help is right here in this group. We’re not coveting other people’s players. They don’t want to hear me talk about what somebody is doing in Norfolk or Bowie. They don’t want to hear about some guy that we’re interested (in). I don’t want them to hear the manager talk about that. Every answer we need to have is in here.

“It’s obvious what’s ahead of us. A lot of challenges. But we have a chance to play meaningful games every day. They were in April, OK? So, they’ve earned that and they want it. They want to be in that cooker. That’s the difference between them and a lot of people. They want to play. They want to be in the arena, not watching outside in. Everybody would like to be in it, but they don’t have the ability that they have. They want that. Have to cross a lot of roads to get there, though. A lot of roads.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/07/showalter-on-kims-injury-and-a-4-2-win.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Outside of the content, I'm not fond of how the author uses dashes (-) instead of commas or parentheses repeatedly. Seems he can't write a sentence without squeezing in several points. He needs a better editor. He reminds me of some of my incoherant Facebook friends who try to say far too much in one sentence. I suspect caffeine is behind this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There may even be reason to consider being more aggressive to keep a close deficit from getting larger, at least for one inning depending on who in your lineup is slated to appear. Of course someone who was actually interested in KNOWING whether that was true would try to find some evidence and build a case rather than just blithering on about how dumb these managers are.

The actual problem with the Yankees is the starting pitching isn't very good and they don't score very many runs. Getting an extra 30-40 innings out of Chapman / Betances / Miller won't really move the needle too much.

If those three were on the O's two would be starting. :laughlol:

See Erasmo Ramirez this year for the Rays.

That is what caught me off guard. Everything Old becomes new again! They ain't inventing this game. They are repackaging it.

Outside of the content, I'm not fond of how the author uses dashes (-) instead of commas or parentheses repeatedly. Seems he can't write a sentence without squeezing in several points. He needs a better editor. He reminds me of some of my incoherant Facebook friends who try to say far too much in one sentence. I suspect caffeine is behind this.

Definitely caffeine. Or Restless Leg.

S9AesxcJlafCNqTw12wfYTaeVM8duapCBaJoOyX2JP_cZP6Y5UKXYzcOMGGwpGv5KM2TtxoyVxF9mjG2E3tATPp7QxM=w426-h240-n

Back in the late '70's I would walk into the Beach Club in Sarasota after work on Friday and grab a stool next the guys who had been in the same spot drinking since LBJ was president. They talked exactly like this guy writes. There's your answer.

Back in the late '70's I would walk into the Beach Club in Sarasota after work on Friday and grab a stool next the guys who had been in the same spot drinking since LBJ was president. They talked exactly like this guy writes. There's your answer.

We had a bar just like that in Raleigh. I came to NC State in '80 as a freshman and the same guys were still there at the bar the week the building was razed in 2013.

Archived