Bowden: Manny's agent proposed a long-term deal to the O's before the season started

Frobby

Manny is the most important player to this organization. If they can sign him to a 10-year contract, he will go down in history as the greatest Orioles ever. He's that good and that much of sure thing. I don't think the Orioles can afford to NOT sign him because of the backlash that would come from not signing the guy you drafted and developed from scratch. From Manny's perspective, he has a chance to lay down a legacy here. Sure, he can chase the ulmighty top dollar, and that probably won't be from the O's, but he can be very, very wealthy man for the rest of life, plus leave a legacy behind. That sure is a nice thing to be able to say IMHO.

I agree with this. We lose Manny and it could be another generation before we see another player that has a shot to go into the HOF as an O. Cal was the last (2005?), Manny probably would be eligible for the Hall around 2035...we lose him, it could be 2050 before another longtime Oriole is eligible (unless you thin Davis hits 40+ HR's a year for another 13 years).

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is paying him over 43 million a year for 10 seasons. Because the Orioles already own the two for ~18.

You mean a total of $18 mm for the two years? That sounds way low to me. I'd say if they take it year by year in the arb process, Manny is going to get $12-15 mm next year and $18-20 mm in 2018 if he puts up similar numbers next year.

You mean a total of $18 mm for the two years? That sounds way low to me. I'd say if they take it year by year in the arb process, Manny is going to get $12-15 mm next year and $18-20 mm in 2018 if he puts up similar numbers next year.

You think he is going to jump from 5M to 12-15?

Seems a bit of a large jump to me.

Of course I was surprised he settled for 5M this season so what do I know?

Chris Davis jumped from $3.3 mm to $10.35 mm in his 2nd year of arbitration. Mike Trout signed a deal that paid him $15 mm in his 2nd arb-eligible year (up from $5 mm in his first arb-eligible year). I'll amend my statement and guess Manny will get $10.5 - $13 mm next year, and $15-18 mm the next season.

From 5 to 15 to 20 ? WoW!

Manny's gonna get his money. I just don't see the next two costing much more than 20 in any case.

OK then $25 MM for the 2 arbitration years (at a minimum) and then 5 years at $30 MM for 7-$175 MM guaranteed. What are there like 3 players making $30 MM now?

Then offer 5 additional option years where his salary is the average of the top 5 players (not including Manny) from the previous season.

The O's can decide not to exercise the option or Manny can decide to opt out. Seven years out he is already wealthy and guaranteed a shot at filthy rich.

Archived