Per ESPN - Yankees "won the trade deadline" and Machado will by a Yankee

Burg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ESPN has always had a love affair with NYY and BOS. Whatever. If these deals work out, they'll be in decent shape. Or they could end up like the O's fire sale of 2000. Or somewhere in between. *shrugs*

As for Manny and Harper in NY, obviously that's premature.

ESPN has always had a love affair with NYY and BOS. Whatever. If these deals work out, they'll be in decent shape. Or they could end up like the O's fire sale of 2000. Or somewhere in between. *shrugs*

As for Manny and Harper in NY, obviously that's premature.

Really was a bad article. The Yankees gave themselves some hope with the trades that they made but in no way are these players a sure thing to pan out. That's why prospects are prospects. They got a good mix of young players but I can name tens if not a few hundred "Top Prospects" that haven't amounted to anything.

Doesn't seem like that bad of a take to me. The Yankees pulled the trigger on the season which doesn't happen often in NY, and got some good prospects out of it. (In retrospect, I wish we had done the same thing last year, but we missed the playoffs and got nothing to show for it). The article states that there are no guarantees, but they are setting themselves up to spend some money on the best available players once their current contracts expire.

The Yankees were definitely the "winners" on the sellers side. They (finally) admitted that this year's team didn't have it, and moved three guys who were going to walk anyway (plus Andrew Miller) for some fairly impressive packages.

That said, ESPN (and essentially the entire sports media world, anymore) is very obsessed with the value of "prospects," many of whom they anoint as burgeoning stars before they even put on an MLB uniform. Time will tell.

If anything close to this scenario occurs, I may have to stop being a baseball fan. The thought of Manny being a Yankee makes me ill.

Same.

I'm hoping against hope that Davis isn't the last big contract the O's give out...because if it does it'll go down as impeding our ability to resign Manny. And that'll be a major blunder.

This quote pretty much sums it up for me.

"I understand why they did it," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said of the front office's decision to sell with the team at .500. "There is age on this team. I think there are needs on this team. Brian and his staff are trying to put this team in a good position to have a long run of not just playing well, but winning championships. I think this is what this organization is about. It is not about being a second wild-card team and winning one game or losing one. We want championships."

Archived