Per ESPN - Yankees "won the trade deadline" and Machado will by a Yankee

Burg

I love Manny - got the t-shirt (and one for my son). But I'm not worried about ONE player making or breaking the entire franchise if he departs.

He's a wildly talented player... a joy to watch. And he's home-grown. He's ours.

Now... if he goes to the Yankees? That'd suck. But if that is what's best for the Orioles, then I'm fine with it. (In other words, it keeps money free to spread around and create a balanced roster year after year, etc.)

As long as we keep beating them, they can have whoever. Heck, they signed Texeira and I practically lost it. I figured it would doom the Orioles and put us forever in the Yankees shadow, with a Severna Park kid no less! Well, look how that turned out.

Fact is, we're watching Manny at his most glorious: absolute peak physical prime, or close to it. And we got him for a couple more years at least.

At this present time, I don't see any way it would be best to let your young franchise superstar walk away. Especially to a AL East rival. Honestly, I'd rather trade Manny this offseason to the Dodgers and give them a chance to extend him than see him in NY or Boston.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Personally I'm not blown away with the Yankees. Of these Super 7, only 2 are pitchers and one is 99th ranked. To me, the have a lot of pitching issues and a collection of shortstops that the will have turn over for more pitching. Cashman will need to get creative this winter.

I don't think the plan is to be in the playoff hunt next year. I think they will develop a core over the next couple years then strike. If in free agency to supplement the core.

I don't think the plan is to be in the playoff hunt next year. I think they will develop a core over the next couple years then strike. If in free agency to supplement the core.

If the Yankees suddenly show the internal discipline to consciously write off an entire year or two laying the groundwork for the future, then the AL East is in trouble.

If the Yankees suddenly show the internal discipline to consciously write off an entire year or two laying the groundwork for the future, then the AL East is in trouble.

That is how it has looked to me for a couple of years now.

The sons are not the old man.

Mind you I am not talking about a tear it apart and be willing to lose 100 strategy, I don't think they go that far.

At this present time, I don't see any way it would be best to let your young franchise superstar walk away. Especially to a AL East rival. Honestly, I'd rather trade Manny this offseason to the Dodgers and give them a chance to extend him than see him in NY or Boston.

That's where I am. Start with Julio Arias, Jose DeLeon , and Alex Verdugo. Arias might be the top young pitcher in baseball.

While it's true they added a lot of talent to a handful of already solid prospects Gleyber,Mateo,Kaprelian,Frazier,Sheffield,Tate,Judge,Sanchez etc. The prospects they currently have lack star power, Clint Frazier is about the only one of those guys who has the tools to really be an upper echelon talent. The majority of the rest are guys who will have long careers but are unlikely to sniff allstar games.

That's certainly an optimistic take. Hope you're right.

I've said this before and will say it again, time to fish or cut bait this winter to insure max value. Would prefer to sign Manny long term, but if not time to move on. Can Mancini play third? (Just kidding).

We should have kept Valencia! Instead, find the next Valencia and the next Pearce.

Stotle did you ever hear if it was true that the Yankees had their choice of Gleyber or Eloy? If so, I'm completely baffled as to why they took Gleyber.

I'm not sure why I hear fans down-playing Torres' ability - when he' a smooth-fielding SS who's more than held his own offensively at high A ball at 19 years old. He seems to clearly be a top 50 prospect - and some have him in the top 20.

I think Cashman did an amazing job this time around. He fleeced the Cubs and the Rangers, in my opinion, and got a great return for Miller as well. Whether the players pan out or not I don't know, but for trading two relievers and a 39-year-old soon-to-be free agent, it was impressive.

I think Cashman did an amazing job this time around. He fleeced the Cubs and the Rangers, in my opinion, and got a great return for Miller as well. Whether the players pan out or not I don't know, but for trading two relievers and a 39-year-old soon-to-be free agent, it was impressive.

Yeah that's what I saw too. I didn't think much of cashman before because he does have the ability to spend and spend some more. However, these trades he proved he can GM a bit.

The Yankees made themselves better for the long haul by selling at the deadline. But the Orioles can't fret about what other teams are doing. As long as they re-sign Machado and Tillman, they will have the core of a strong team for several more years, with other stars like Bundy, Gausman, Davis and Schoop still under team control.

Stotle did you ever hear if it was true that the Yankees had their choice of Gleyber or Eloy? If so, I'm completely baffled as to why they took Gleyber.

There were some evaluators with weight who looked at Torres and saw Jeter. Also more safety in hit tool and closer proximity to contributing (targeting 2018). Plenty of folks prefer the upside of Jiminez but Yankees wanted Torres.

There were some evaluators with weight who looked at Torres and saw Jeter. Also more safety in hit tool and closer proximity to contributing (targeting 2018). Plenty of folks prefer the upside of Jiminez but Yankees wanted Torres.

IMO looking for "ghosts" no matter what you are doing general leaves you with nothing. I am sure Torres will be decent, but nostalgia can be a dangerous thing.

Archived