Per ESPN - Yankees "won the trade deadline" and Machado will by a Yankee

Burg

I used to be someone who watched Sportscenter almost every day. But something really stuck in my craw in 2005. The O's fell out of first place and ESPN acted like it was the greatest thing in the world. I might watch that channel on average about once a month now. Haven't really missed it either.

I'm in the same boat, I used to watch it all the time, now I can't stand it. You'd think the Red Sox and Yanks are co-owners of ESPN.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm in the same boat, I used to watch it all the time, now I can't stand it. You'd think the Red Sox and Yanks are co-owners of ESPN.

This is true. Good thing is bspn ratings are way down. America is tired of the official sponsor of YES and NESN.

If anything close to this scenario occurs, I may have to stop being a baseball fan. The thought of Manny being a Yankee makes me ill.

I have to confess I stepped away from being a baseball fan year or two after Mussina signed with the MFY's. It was that hard to stomach.

I've resigned to the idea of Manny going somewhere else. As great as he is, he's just never felt like he'd stay here too long. Remember feeling the same way about A-Rod when he was a Mariner.
Manny want's to stay here. He gave them a gift at arb for 5M and has approached the O's about an extension. The question is how much does PA like him.

I haven't watched Sportcenter since I was a kid. I've strayed from ESPN period unless I was forced to watch the O's on that station. Has nothing to do with their obsession with the Yanks and Sox, just stopped being fun to watch like MTV in the late 90's.

Two things come from the Yanks cutting their salary to a more reasonable 150 million or so.

1. Can Cashman put together a team "on a budget"? We have no idea if he's any good or can just throw money at a problem, as they have done in the past.

2. It might lower salaries across the board. It's one less team willing to give out massive contracts (yes, I know Boston and LAD still will, but it's one less market)

Manny want's to stay here. He gave them a gift at arb for 5M and has approached the O's about an extension. The question is how much does PA like him.

Do you think he stays? I have heard the comments myself from Manny about wanting to stay but am not sold that he isn't simply 'saying the right thing'.

Do you think he stays? I have heard the comments myself from Manny about wanting to stay but am not sold that he isn't simply 'saying the right thing'.

I think he genuinely wants to stay -- but at the right price. And I don't know whether Angelos will pay it. If he doesn't, I do think New York is Manny's most likely destination. So Angelos really needs to give this his best effort.

While he's not going to say, "I can't wait to leave Baltimore when my time is up," I really believe he's looking forward to being a FA and testing the market. His pal A-Rod has probably given him a briefing on life in the Big Apple. I wouldn't be surprised if the Chris Davis contract scares off Angelos from giving out any more mega deals.

While he's not going to say, "I can't wait to leave Baltimore when my time is up," I really believe he's looking forward to being a FA and testing the market. His pal A-Rod has probably given him a briefing on life in the Big Apple. I wouldn't be surprised if the Chris Davis contract scares off Angelos from giving out any more mega deals.

Dont you think traveling to NY and playing in NY has given him a glimpse of life in NY city?

Seems like ESPN has their favorites, and the O's are not one of them. They seem to be the MOST disrespected 1st place team in the league based on what I see throughout the nation media. Seems like the Yanks, Sox, Cubs and Giants are the 4 Letter's media babies. If Trumbo played for one of these teams, he would be mentioned as an MVP candidate. It's OK though, I like flying under the radar. Just like the Ravens did in 2000. Just let your winning do the talking.

I love Manny - got the t-shirt (and one for my son). But I'm not worried about ONE player making or breaking the entire franchise if he departs.

He's a wildly talented player... a joy to watch. And he's home-grown. He's ours.

Now... if he goes to the Yankees? That'd suck. But if that is what's best for the Orioles, then I'm fine with it. (In other words, it keeps money free to spread around and create a balanced roster year after year, etc.)

As long as we keep beating them, they can have whoever. Heck, they signed Texeira and I practically lost it. I figured it would doom the Orioles and put us forever in the Yankees shadow, with a Severna Park kid no less! Well, look how that turned out.

Fact is, we're watching Manny at his most glorious: absolute peak physical prime, or close to it. And we got him for a couple more years at least.

Archived