Per ESPN - Yankees "won the trade deadline" and Machado will by a Yankee

Burg

If other half billion offers are on the table, I wonder if ARod's experience will persuade him to take a payday elsewhere.

Could be.

I just don't get how folks can see how things have gone the last decade and still fallback on the idea that the Yankees will sign everyone.

I do expect them to sign a couple very big names from that free agent class but they are not going to get all of them.

I'd guess Harper and Fernandez.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While it's true they added a lot of talent to a handful of already solid prospects Gleyber,Mateo,Kaprelian,Frazier,Sheffield,Tate,Judge,Sanchez etc. The prospects they currently have lack star power, Clint Frazier is about the only one of those guys who has the tools to really be an upper echelon talent. The majority of the rest are guys who will have long careers but are unlikely to sniff allstar games.

But that is where the ability to pay 4+ win free agents comes into play.

Build a supporting cast then sign Harper and a couple pitchers.

I got news for you if Angelos doesn't write a 300m check this offseason Machado probably will be a Yankee in 2 years.

Could just as easily be a Dodger. If Machado moves on it isn't going to effect me. He was injured for stretches before and we did ok.

I used to be someone who watched Sportscenter almost every day. But something really stuck in my craw in 2005. The O's fell out of first place and ESPN acted like it was the greatest thing in the world. I might watch that channel on average about once a month now. Haven't really missed it either.

If anything close to this scenario occurs, I may have to stop being a baseball fan. The thought of Manny being a Yankee makes me ill.

That would be the nail in the coffin for me. I'd have to start following cricket....

Most people only want to watch their local team. NY is biggest market.

Yes, but it's really only this way for baseball because baseball tends to be NYC/BOS centric at the national level, especially for the past 2 decades. ESPN isn't this way for football and other sports. Audiences demand more variety in other sports at the national level because local media dominates baseball. Hence at the national level this national dominance of the Yankees and Red Sox is really annoying. I think it's starting to wane though with the success of the San Francisco Giants and the rise of the Cubs, etc.

Thats why we had Yanks Mets last nite and then they are on again tomorrow nite.

Who cares about the Mets and Yankees?

I can't remember the last time they didn't have Red Sox vs Yankees as their Sunday night game when they face off.

ESPN has always had a love affair with NYY and BOS. Whatever. If these deals work out, they'll be in decent shape. Or they could end up like the O's fire sale of 2000. Or somewhere in between. *shrugs*

As for Manny and Harper in NY, obviously that's premature.

I'm surprised they didn't suggest that they would also get Trout! Yes, sure the Yanks will likely land one of Manny or Harper if they reach free agency. But the Dodgers may be able to outbid anyone. All of this is reason enough to sign Manny before he even begins to think about free agency.

Archived