Will the fans show?

Todd-O

And that's a pretty fallacious economic argument. It would affect all teams equally as all teams would contribute players. He may lose Machado, but the Red Sox might lose Pedroia. And if it was written into the CBA that players were obligated to play as an obligation to a MLB contract, then Buck has nothing to worry about. It is what it is. If he gets injured, that's the breaks, if he doesn't get injured and gets something out of it Buck should be elated.

A would never be written that way. Anyway, baseball does not have to worry about being like soccer.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could see Buck having a fit if he lost Machado and Britton because they had to play a game for the National team.

Exactly as I described. We've spent more than a century isolated in an area that only has closed leagues without any exposure to external competitions so Americans have no experience with other ways of operating and treat them as bizarre and wrong.

On the other hand, the rest of the world gets to have multiple competitions enjoy and to root for so that 29/30ths of the population isn't crestfallen each year.

A would never be written that way. Anyway, baseball does not have to worry about being like soccer.

Never is a long time. I would be a little disappointed if in 50 years we had no competition between teams or players from around the world. And the rest of the baseball world probably isn't happy that the highest levels of baseball only happen thousands of miles away.

I like the idea of indy leagues, but there is a noticeable difference in general level of play that I think translates to less wow-inducing plays. In MLB you'll pretty regularly see highlight reel plays you just don't see in Atlantic League. You almost never see dominant performances at a Blue Crabs game. A guy who throws 97 doesn't exist there. Nobody hits .340 with 46 homers. This year some guy named David Vidal had just over a 1.000 OPS (.320/.413/.633) but in only half the schedule. Endy Chavez won the batting title at 38, but with two homers and five steals. The pitchers are mainly finesse guys like Jonathan Albaladejo, who topped off at 91 when he appeared in the majors 4+ years ago.

If you had the strike scenario you'd mix in MLB talent with these guys and see the stars really stand out. It would be like MLB from 100 years ago. Mark Trumbo would hit .380 with 74 homers in 140 games. Hyun-Soo Kim might hit .425. Zach Britton could start and go 24-8 with a 1.77 and 14 K/9. Chris Tillman might have 18 complete games. It might be awesome.

It sounds pretty fun!

Never is a long time. I would be a little disappointed if in 50 years we had no competition between teams or players from around the world. And the rest of the baseball world probably isn't happy that the highest levels of baseball only happen thousands of miles away.

Personally, I think it would smart if they found a way to incorporate MLB players when baseball comes back to the Olympics in 2020. Take a week and a half break from the regular season and put together dream teams (substitute it for the All-Star break). And then every four year in the off-setting years in 2022 and on, have the same format and make that the new WBC.

Personally, I think it would smart if they found a way to incorporate MLB players when baseball comes back to the Olympics in 2020. Take a week and a half break from the regular season and put together dream teams (substitute it for the All-Star break). And then every four year in the off-setting years in 2022 and on, have the same format and make that the new WBC.

I don't think the established culture would support that. Most American players don't see representing their country as a priority, and MLB sees it as all risk.

I just see it as a way to create another tournament that's interesting where I can be watching championship baseball. I think that would appeal to a lot of fans who don't have a prayer of a World Series for their favorite team. I also think that being it in the middle season would give the USA players a fighting chance against Japan (since we always get crushed playing before players get into shape).

I just see it as a way to create another tournament that's interesting where I can be watching championship baseball. I think that would appeal to a lot of fans who don't have a prayer of a World Series for their favorite team. I also think that being it in the middle season would give the USA players a fighting chance against Japan (since we always get crushed playing before players get into shape).

I think they get crushed because many of our best players don't care enough to show up. The first WBC we had Adam Dunn playing the outfield like a drunk rhino. Adam Dunn couldn't have been among America's best 10,000 fielding outfielders.

It's an embarrassment really. They need to write it into the CBA that either the player must play if healthy (and go the automatic 60 day DL if deemed too unhealthy to play), or give suspensions, fines, and terminations of contracts for managers or GM's deemed to discourage players to play.

It's an embarrassment really. They need to write it into the CBA that either the player must play if healthy (and go the automatic 60 day DL if deemed too unhealthy to play), or give suspensions, fines, and terminations of contracts for managers or GM's deemed to discourage players to play.

They are going to give fines for players not playing in a tournament no one cares about and could get a potential injury that could keep them out of games people care about dearly?

See cimota's response. You and I may wish for the WBC to be like the World Cup, to be a showcase for players we never see and a brilliant marketing opportunity for the game. But Americans have been raised on the idea that your favorite MLB team's requirements are the only ones that count. At all. And the World Series is the only trophy. You can't wish that away in a few months or years.

He may be unfamiliar with labor contract negotiations.

I've read the NFL and MLB's CBAs cover to cover. Have you? They're available for public viewing online.

And really? "Care about dearly?" Did you watch any of the WBC games? When the Latin countries were playing the fans were literally screaming louder than I've ever seen anybody cheer at any MLB game, even a World Series game. So you're saying that people would rather watch a mundane middle of the season regular season game with 15,000 games that is part of a 162 game season then a short, intense, 12-13 game tournament for global pride and supremacy?

And if these owners care anything about money, they would salivate at the idea of expanding their brand globally. The MLB is doing pretty poorly with global TV revenue compared to the NBA and the elite European soccer leagues. These dudes might bleed red, white, and blue, the power of the green pieces of paper influence them. These players have no marketable skills besides playing baseball. The owners could bring this knowledge to the negotiating table, and remind them that in order to continue earning millions of dollars, they have to fulfill certain obligations to the league. If they don't like it, there are other people who can play as well and fill seats. They can go back to whatever other blue collar job their obscure skillset will allow them to do. I'm sure that delivery truck companies are hiring for drivers.

So you're saying that people would rather watch a mundane middle of the season regular season game with 15,000 games that is part of a 162 game season then a short, intense, 12-13 game tournament for global pride and supremacy?

American fans? Yes, they would. American fans, mostly, see it as all downside. Plus you might have to root for a Yank or Red Sox if they're American.

I just think most Americans don't want a situation where we're risking losing. If we're not dominant, or at least pretty heavily favored, we're not that interested. One of the benefits of the World Series and the Super Bowl is that American teams win 100% of the time.

American fans? Yes, they would. American fans, mostly, see it as all downside. Plus you might have to root for a Yank or Red Sox if they're American.

I just think most Americans don't want a situation where we're risking losing. If we're not dominant, or at least pretty heavily favored, we're not that interested. One of the benefits of the World Series and the Super Bowl is that American teams win 100% of the time.

For the NFL, yes. For MLB, almost; don't forget 1992 and 1993. :)

Archived