If we miss the playoffs this year, trade Manny and sign Schoop

FanSince88

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What other guys have been "the type player" you spend big on?

What other mega contracts have resulted in their team winning multiple championships or even multiple playoff apperances?

How many outside of LA, Boston, or New York?

Did A-rod bring Texas success?

How has Pujols worked out for the Angels?

Fielder for the Tigers, Votto for the Reds, Cano for the Mariners?

has Kershaw got the Dodgers past the Giants?

Has Grienke propelled the Diamondbacks into the playoffs?

Did giving Stanton 13 yrs and 325 million dollars keep Stanton healthy?

Could the Twins finished in last place without giving Mauer 183 million?

How far out in the AL East would the O's be without Chris Davis who is 13th among ML 1B in OPS?

Nope sorry big contracts are almost always big mistakes

We get your point but you have to make a distinction between players who have proven themselves at a very young age and sign long term contracts also a very young age versus players who took longer to develop and therefore signed big contracts later.

Manny would clearly fall in the former category, while someone like Davis goes in the latter.

Pujols was of course a terrible signing for the Angels and everyone except Artie Moreno knew it would be. But his first big multi-year contract was with the Cardinals, which was a huge success for St. Louis.

Kershaw's contract is probably a good one. A-Rod's contract with Texas could be considered a success since they traded it away to the Yankees and got something for him. And it was a success for the Yankees too. Remember the terrible Yankee contract with A-Rod was his second one, not the one they inherited from Texas.

It's too early to judge Greinke's contract. It was likely a bad contract for Arizona, but the same contract with LA or SF, Chicago and a lot of other already successful teams would likely still make that deal. Greinke has had a poor year, but he could definitely turn it around like he has in the past.

Yes, Stanton's deal was probably a terrible one as was Mauer's.

You have to consider not just the amount of money involved but if the contract is at all tradeable. Greinke's and Votto's contracts are tradeable because the players are wanted by other teams even with those huge contracts -- as was A-Rod. Stanton is another story. Even if he gets it back together I can't ever see that contract tradeable.

Also, occasionally players sign team friendly deals like Andrew McCutchen's and Evan Longoria's. Even Trout's deal is considered team friendly. It's not out of the question for Manny. Manny is easily having his best year so far this year, but if he slides somewhat next year you never know what he might accept.

You can't trade Manny for "prospects." It takes 100 "prospects" to get a Manny.

We're overrating Manny a bit here. As great as Manny is he has yet to finish in the Top 5 in total WAR. This could be the first season he finishes in the Top 10, currently at #6 (according to Baseball-Reference.com).

He's great, but the O's have an opportunity here to maybe get him for a somewhat team friendly deal because he hasn't yet had a Mike Trout, Jose Altuve or Mookie Betts type of year.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/leaders/WAR_top_ten.shtml

I understand the motivation to trade him for a haul but I think they'll regret it.

I said his rookie year that he was Ripken. I think he's got a very good chance to be the best Oriole ever. Crazy to say but man it would be great to find out with a ten year contract.

Spitballing here: Manny to the Astros for Colin McHugh, Alex Bregman, Frances Martes and Kyle Tucker.

Bregman: #8 on BA's midseason top 100, now posting a .711 OPS for the Astros at 3B at age 22.

Martes: #29 on BA's list, RHP in AA.

Tucker: #35 on BA's list, no. 5 overall pick last year, now in high A at age 19 as a corner OF.

Seeing actual names makes it more viable than "prospects". I am not sure the Astros would do this but I thought of Bregman as a possible centerpiece and was impressed with what I saw of him against the O's. I could get behind a deal like that. I also wonder what we could get for 6 months of Manny in July 2018.

Seeing actual names makes it more viable than "prospects". I am not sure the Astros would do this but I thought of Bregman as a possible centerpiece and was impressed with what I saw of him against the O's. I could get behind a deal like that. I also wonder what we could get for 6 months of Manny in July 2018.

Bregman is a poor man's Pedroia. Small, But a good player.

There is no argument to make for trading him especially when we have found money to give to Davis and stop gap at best pitchers year after year. Let Manny Machado walk and the team is not a contender for another 10-15 years, this would be a major franchise blunder and would set the team back years.

We're not talking about letting Manny walk, we're talking about trading him for a boatload of talent, instead of only getting a 1st round supplemental pick for him if he leaves as a free agent. I advocate trying to sign him this offseason, but if his demands are too high, the next best alternative is to trade him.

As to setting the franchise back 10-15 years, that's putting too much emphasis on one player. We went to the ALCS in 2014 with Manny missing half the season, including the two month stretch run when we ran away from the field. And that was in a situation where we were getting nothing back for missing Manny. In the trade scenario we're getting a ton back, and those players can help us.

Why would the Atros trade Bregman for Manny? Bergman can play short or third and has more years of team control and is producing at major league level.

Why would the Atros trade Bregman for Manny? Bergman can play short or third and has more years of team control and is producing at major league level.

Because Manny is a better player and they don't need a SS. Anyway, I'm not saying the Astros would do it. The question was what kind of package would be enough for Manny and I gave that as an example.

Archived