BA's Jim Callis on Posey as a SS

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/ask-ba/2008/266078.html

Jim Callis answers the question many of us have been asking. If Posey was still playing SS where would he go in the draft.

Callis states:

"As a shortstop, Posey displayed the same strong arm and soft hands. His range was more ordinary, and at 6-foot-2 and 200 pounds, he doesn't have a traditional shortstop build. But it's still fair to say that the whole package could add up to an average defender at short.

This draft is light on shortstops who can provide both offense and defense, and with Posey's explosion at the plate this spring (.471/.570/.843 with 15 homers in 51 games), he would have been the third-best shortstop available, behind only the non-related Beckhams, Georgia high schooler Tim and the University of Georgia's Gordon. Posey wouldn't go No. 1 overall as a shortstop, but he'd go in the middle of the first round."

He won't put up the power numbers that Smoak or Alvarez will..

but he'll have the highest average.

Not only is he hitting .471 (I can't believe we're nearing the end of the college baseball season and someone's hitting almost .500 :eek: )

but his BB:K ratio is over 3:1. That is one amazing eye for the strike zone!!!

He won't put up the power numbers that Smoak or Alvarez will..

but he'll have the highest average.

Not only is he hitting .471 (I can't believe we're nearing the end of the college baseball season and someone's hitting almost .500 :eek: )

but his BB:K ratio is over 3:1. That is one amazing eye for the strike zone!!!

I agree. I see a Pudge-type bat.

Kevin Goldstein was warning about how everybody explodes in that park in one of his articles today.

That true for power numbers, but he was referencing Shane Robinson who was a leadoff hitter, and had very little power.

He did hit .430 in his senior year or something ridiculous like that, but I seriously doubt the park helped him because of the way that particular player's game is. He was a singles hitter with ridiculous speed.

the single best predictor of a successful hitter is the BB:K ratio. Billy Beane of the A's certainly believes this. I don't know if there is data to support this notion. But Posey's BB:K ratio is simply amazing.

Posey is a special talent. Period. Although Markpolis and others feel he's not #1 worthy, I've come to the conclusion that he is. He'll be a very good pro. He grows on you, like a wild vine. That is a good thing. :)

With Callis' determination that Posey could still play an average defensive SS it had me wondering if a team might draft him as a SS. I doubt that would be the case, but it wouldn't shock me. Why move a potential GG catcher to a position that he'd be merely average defensively?

Still... it did make me wonder.

Hopefully this kid will rise all the way into the top 3 of the draft...making it more likely that Alvarez or Tim Beckham falls to us at number 4.
I agree. Posey is certainly a great talent, but I doubt he plays SS and we've already got the best young catcher in baseball, so there isn't much need for him in Baltimore. If he goes early and it pushes Beckham or (my preference) Alvarez down to us, that'd be great.

I agree. Posey is certainly a great talent, but I doubt he plays SS and we've already got the best young catcher in baseball, so there isn't much need for him in Baltimore. If he goes early and it pushes Beckham or (my preference) Alvarez down to us, that'd be great.

I concur 100%. No way Posey plays SS in the pros. He's already too thick and his range is limited. He projects well at the catcher position. Elsewhere, not so much.

As Jim Callis of BA stated, if Posey were still playing SS, he would go somewhere in the middle of round 1, behind Tim and Gordon Beckham.

Archived