Would you sign Tillman for 5/$75 mm this offseason?

Frobby

Would you sign Tillman for 5/$75 mm this offseason  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sign Tillman for 5/$75 mm this offseason

• Yes, I think that is a good deal for the O's
    • No, I think that is too much risk, but I might do a cheaper deal
    • No, I don't want any long term deals with Tillman
    • No, I prefer to wait until mid-2017 or later to decide

This poll is closed to new votes

The Orioles blew it by not signing Tillman to an extension after the 2014 season. If you look at his numbers, Tillman's a very similar pitcher to Derek Holland. The Rangers signed Holland to a 4-year $28.5 million extension with two team options after the 2012 season. The service times for Holland after the 2012 season and Tillman after the 2014 season were virtually identical and statistically they are both very similar. If the Orioles had followed the Rangers example, they would have Tillman under team control until 2020. Now Tillman's probably going to walk after 2017 or at least force the Orioles to sign him for an exorbitant amount of money.

Considering Holland's injuries, he'd be a better example of why the Orioles should not lock up Tillman.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Before the seasn0 I had Tillman pegged at 5/100

Haven't changed my mind since.

And no a little DL stint doesn't make me think OMG all downhill from here, like that 5/75 offer presumes...I guess.

I actually think he might be insulted at something like that. Or at least say "nice try".

The biggest mistake this franchise will ever make is playing hardball with him and letting him play it out and leave. Even 20m is a relative bargain for what the top top guys are getting, he isn't that but not far off.

You wait "one more season" and he is a free agent, and gone.

It needs to be done this offseason, or it won't get done at all.

Not necessarily -- see Chris Davis. But the price will go up and we'll be competing with other teams.

By the way, if we don't re-sign Tillman, then we go into 2018 with Gausman, Bundy, and ? ? ? Miley, Gallardo, and Jiminez all have contracts that expire after 2017, and I don't see anyone in the MiL system to plug into the rotation in 2018, unless you have more faith in Wright, Wilson et al. than I do. Our best pitching prospects are at Delmarva and below, except for Hunter Harvey who certainly doesn't figure into our rotation plans for 2018.

Before the seasn0 I had Tillman pegged at 5/100

Haven't changed my mind since.

And no a little DL stint doesn't make me think OMG all downhill from here, like that 5/75 offer presumes...I guess.

I actually think he might be insulted at something like that. Or at least say "nice try".

The biggest mistake this franchise will ever make is playing hardball with him and letting him play it out and leave. Even 20m is a relative bargain for what the top top guys are getting, he isn't that but not far off.

The franchise has made bigger mistakes than not signing Tillman to a long-term contract would be.

Considering Holland's injuries, he'd be a better example of why the Orioles should not lock up Tillman.

Even with his injuries, Holland has accumulated 6.5 WAR over the past four seasons. That's about $4 million/WAR so the Rangers still have gotten tremendous value from his contract plus they have him under team control for two more seasons. Imagine how much better this team would be if Chris Tillman was locked up for $9 million next year and $12 million in 2018 with team options for $13 million in 2019 and $14 million in 2020. Everybody on board would be doing cartwheels about what a genius signing it was.

I'm not in favor of extending anyone until they've extended Manny. That should be the absolute No. 1 priority for the offseason. Then I'd start thinking about extending Gausman and Schoop.

Tillman is a decent No. 3 pitcher (which is hopefully where he'll slot into the rotation next year). But his peripheral numbers aren't that great (even though he's had a good year, his Fielding Independent Pitching is bordering on poor) and I'm not sure he will sustain what success he has well into his 30s. If he were a real top-of-the-rotation pitcher it would be different. But I think he's replaceable.

I'm not in favor of extending anyone until they've extended Manny. That should be the absolute No. 1 priority for the offseason. Then I'd start thinking about extending Gausman and Schoop.

Tillman is a decent No. 3 pitcher (which is hopefully where he'll slot into the rotation next year). But his peripheral numbers aren't that great (even though he's had a good year, his Fielding Independent Pitching is bordering on poor) and I'm not sure he will sustain what success he has well into his 30s. If he were a real top-of-the-rotation pitcher it would be different. But I think he's replaceable.

He'd be a lot more replaceable if Dan would stop trading young pitchers and forfeiting/selling draft picks.

As is replacing means adding an Ubaldo or Gallardo.

Archived