For an O's fan, this might be the most interesting playoff race ever

Frobby

The crappy part about this is that with like half the AL on our asses we basically have to win everrrrrry game. Seems like every time we gain ground on one team another one is right there benefitting somehow.

And this series with Detroit feels super crucial to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just win 14 out of 23 and don't get swept in any series, and we'll be fine.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

This late season Pennant race reminds me of the Orioles' 2012 stretch run.

The Orioles were oh so close to the 1st-place Yankees right down until the final few games, but they just couldn't quite overtake them. They did manage to attain a Wildcard berth though, and they the Rangers in the one-game playoff.

This upcoming series reminds me of a series against the Tigers that year. It was late August, and the Tigers were as tough then as they are now. The Orioles lost the first game of the series, a game in which 1st baseman Mark Reynolds went ballistic over a horrible overturn of a call that was initially ruled (correctly) in favor of the Orioles. Reynolds slammed his glove down, and was promptly ejected from the game. The Orioles lost that game, but they came right back and won the next 2 games.

I see this upcoming series similarly to that one against the Tigers in 2012. Even if the Orioles happen to drop the opening game of the series tomorrow, I am confidant that they can come back and win the next 2 on Saturday and Sunday.

Those 2012 Orioles were a scrappy, spunky bunch who were not afraid of any team, or any challenge ........ I feel the same way about this 2016 team.

I must say, I am fascinated by all the different permutations of the playoff race if you are an Orioles fan. They are 2 games out of first place in the division, 1 game out of first wild card position, and in 2nd wild card position, but there are also three teams within two games of the O's in the loss column. Plus, 16 of the Orioles' 23 remaining games are against teams who are in that mix.

The O's have been in some interesting two-way races over the years, and the 2012 race where they had a shot at a division title and also were battling a couple of teams for a wild card spot was pretty interesting, but I think this one tops them.

FWIW, in 2012, after 139 games we were tied with the Yankees for the AL East lead, two teams (including Tampa) were 2 games behind us in the WC standings, and another team was 3 games behind. That was also a very good race.

Most interesting races during my time as a fan:

1. 1982

2. 1974

3. 1989

4. 1977 and 1980 (tie)

The Orioles only won 1 of those 5, but I can't put the 1996 WC race in the same category as any of them. One thing in common for 1982, 1974, 1977, and 1980 was the Orioles playing simply outstanding baseball down the stretch. The 1989 team hung on for dear life with talent that seemed decidely less than the Jays and unfortunately, I think that's the best case for this Orioles team.

I remember that Wild Card playoff game. Went down to Canton with my wife to watch it. The entire square was packed. Every bar was playing it. We watched it at Plug Ugly's. It was like the World Series and Christmas all rolled into one. There was a magical energy on Baltimore before, during and especially after.

In some ways that 2012 team with Reynolds, and Chris Davis going crazy and the beginning of Manny was among my very favorite Oriole seasons. I remember how proud I was in jst beating Texas in the wildcrad game. To me it felt like winning the world series. And we couldve and shouldve gone further..if Jim Johnson couldve held some leads.

And Nate McLouth and Miguel Gonzalez shutting the Yankees down and Flaherty hitting a homer in the Bronx! We should have beaten the Yankees--what a post-season to remember that wd have been.

In some ways that 2012 team with Reynolds, and Chris Davis going crazy and the beginning of Manny was among my very favorite Oriole seasons. I remember how proud I was in jst beating Texas in the wildcrad game. To me it felt like winning the world series. And we couldve and shouldve gone further..if Jim Johnson couldve held some leads.

I remember Reynolds going on that tear (it was around this time of the season)....like 9 or 10 home runs in 9 or 10 games vs NYY/TOR/NYY.

That was definitely an awesome season. Game 1 of the ALDS sucked though....it was cold/windy/rainy....I insisted on being there as the gates opened, then there was like a 3.5 hour rain delay.....by far the most miserable game I've ever been to weather wise.

Then after sitting through all that for 8-9 hours, JJ blew the game in the 9th.

I remember Reynolds going on that tear (it was around this time of the season)....like 9 or 10 home runs in 9 or 10 games vs NYY/TOR/NYY.

That was definitely an awesome season. Game 1 of the ALDS sucked though....it was cold/windy/rainy....I insisted on being there as the gates opened, then there was like a 3.5 hour rain delay.....by far the most miserable game I've ever been to weather wise.

Then after sitting through all that for 8-9 hours, JJ blew the game in the 9th.

JJ lost the game, but we didn't have the lead in the first place. He entered the game in the 9th inning with the score tied 2-2.

If teams don't fold, this could be the most complicated pennant race ever.

Somewhat similar to 2012, when the Rays (90-72) and the Angels (89-73) were left on the outside looking in, while the Orioles and the Rangers each went 93-69, and the Yankees won the division at 95-67.

o

This late season Pennant race reminds me of the Orioles' 2012 stretch run.

The Orioles were oh so close to the 1st-place Yankees right down until the final few games, but they just couldn't quite overtake them. They did manage to attain a Wildcard berth though, and they the Rangers in the one-game playoff.

This upcoming series reminds me of a series against the Tigers that year. It was late August, and the Tigers were as tough then as they are now. The Orioles lost the first game of the series, a game in which 1st baseman Mark Reynolds went ballistic over a horrible overturn of a call that was initially ruled (correctly) in favor of the Orioles. Reynolds slammed his glove down, and was promptly ejected from the game. The Orioles lost that game, but they came right back and won the next 2 games.

I see this upcoming series similarly to that one against the Tigers in 2012. Even if the Orioles happen to drop the opening game of the series tomorrow, I am confidant that they can come back and win the next 2 on Saturday and Sunday.

Those 2012 Orioles were a scrappy, spunky bunch who were not afraid of any team, or any challenge ........ I feel the same way about this 2016 team.

o

Well, nobody threw their glove on the ground and went ballistic like Mark Reynolds did 4 years ago, but there was some questionable home-plate umpiring from Joe West tonight.

And it would be nice if we followed suit like we did in that series from 4 years ago, and won the next 2 games to take the series.

Archived