Adam Jones on MLB's lack of Kaepernick protest: 'Baseball is a white man's sport'

SeaBird

Out to get me? What does that mean?Of course black people had it rougher then most whites.Also to say blacks don't play baseball because of cost is also a generality. I live in a place which is 55% black and most are middle class.

Sorry if that came across the wrong way. I often feel that people who staunchly argue against the privilege buzzword do so because they hear arguments about privilege and interpret it as a personal attack on their identity, rather than a general societal statement. I apologize if that was unclear or if I wrongfully assumed something about your post.

As for the baseball aspect in particular, since as weams says that's really what the thread should stay focused on, I think I agree with you that the cost claim is only a generality or a guess until there more specific research. Different parts of culture emphasize different things. Among most non-white Americans, and among most youth Americans (white or not), baseball isn't much of an emphasis compared to other sports. Cost is probably one of those factors in some cases but I think there's lots of others, too.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry if that came across the wrong way. I often feel that people who staunchly argue against the privilege buzzword do so because they hear arguments about privilege and interpret it as a personal attack on their identity, rather than a general societal statement. I apologize if that was unclear or if I wrongfully assumed something about your post.

As for the baseball aspect in particular, since as weams says that's really what the thread should stay focused on, I think I agree with you that the cost claim is only a generality or a guess until there more specific research. Different parts of culture emphasize different things. Among most non-white Americans, and among most youth Americans (white or not), baseball isn't much of an emphasis compared to other sports. Cost is probably one of those factors in some cases but I think there's lots of others, too.

700 people of any race, religion, nationality or personal preferences and beliefs get to play the game of baseball at it's highest level.

I just noticed this story was the top trending topic on Facebook right now. And sadly, so many of the comments are from the folks who don't understand Adam and where he's coming from. Bascially, it's what I should have expected in the comments section of any news story that deals with the topic of race these days. Lots of ignorance and bile.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/instagraphs/adam-jones-addresses-baseball-is-a-white-mans-sport/

Adam Jones created a bit of a stir when he told Bob Nightengale of USA Today that ?baseball is a white man?s sport.? That?s understandable. Race can be a hot-button issue at the best of times, and given the current climate ? Colin Kaepernick, Black Lives Matter, the presidential race ? these are volatile times.

Jones addressed his controversial (and spot on) comments with a group of reporters prior to tonight?s game at Fenway Park. The Baltimore Orioles outfielder spoke at length, and he did so thoughtfully and honestly.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Good. We're talking about this. <a href="https://t.co/3H8JuX100x">https://t.co/3H8JuX100x</a></p>— Jessica Quiroli ⚾ (@heelsonthefield) <a href="

">September 12, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

All good.I know sometimes on a message board the ideas are not always brought out as best they could.Misinterpretation on both sides.

That was years before you were born. I guess I should feel guilty about everything that has ever happened.

Its not about that, its about understanding that there are systemic pressures in place that we are ALL still living in the shadows of. Just because the Voting Rights Act of 1965 got signed that didn't make the previous century's worth of social discrimination vanish. We as a country are only now even beginning to address things like discriminatory housing policies that for generations prevented people from accessing the single most common generator of generational wealth in America in home ownership. What you are seeing right now, the young adults running around right now are genuinely - GENUINELY this is very real and serious - the first generation of African Americans that exist in a world where there are a host of federal and state laws that even attempt to criminalize the practices that their parents and grandparents had to deal with. Saying that "It happened before I was born," and washing your hands of the issue is a massive cop-out that simply ignores the realities of the world we live in today.

We are all living in the shadows of the sins of our fathers. It is our responsibility as citizens in the modern world to work to remedy the mistakes and violations of the past while trying to ensure that they do not happen in the future.

But hey, that is just my opinion I could be wrong.

Jones is just ignorant as is anyone who thinks the flag represents, "social injustice." as someone who has served this nation is multiple conflicts and who has the utmost respect for the flag and the country is represents, it's disgraceful that Jones would say such an ugly ignorant thing about our flag and our great nation.

Implying that he can't say anything because he plays a white man sport is just more victimism and shows how exactly a leader doesn't act. The Seattle Seahawks had concerns, but they decided as a team to show unity as they stood arm and arm and realize that only together can we work to become a better country, not disgracing this nation and the flag that represents it.

I am no longer a Jones fan. I have lost all respect for him and to me he has destroyed his legacy with his comments about the flag and a country that has enabled him to make tens of millions of dollars while he plays his white man sport.

I'm going to stay away from further comment as not to get political, but to me, the sooner Jones takes off our great uniform the better.

Since there is no way to discuss this without getting political, I'm going to close this down.

Archived