Adam Jones on MLB's lack of Kaepernick protest: 'Baseball is a white man's sport'

SeaBird

A lot of the AAU organizations are run by scumbags who prey on the kids and families that aren't in a good place financially. Essentially "giving them stuff" now because there's a chance that in 5-6 years they'll be in the NBA and can use that stuff to expect or get favors from the players down the road.

That "favor down the road" is a sponsorship deal, which is valuable to the shoe company because people spend a ton of money basketball shoes

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not disagreeing with this...but what explains the much higher percentage of African-American players in MLB during the 1970's?

Well, let me say this. I was born in 1993 and so I really have no idea why that was. I always thought that it was because of the rising of travel league (including the price) but I definitely want to hear about what older guys have to say about why less brothas play today. I was speaking based on what I've seen from my generation.

Well, let me say this. I was born in 1993 and so I really have no idea what that was. I always thought that it was because of the rising of travel league (including the price) but I definitely want to hear about what older guys have to say about why less brothas play today. I was speaking based on what I've seen from my generation.

When I played, we had 2 catcher gloves that was used by anybody catching.

Now, if you are a catcher, you have your own catcher's glove, in addition to a regular glove, and in some cases, like my son. He had 3 gloves, he also had a 1st baseball gloves. That right there, was a couple of hundred in gloves, not to mention, bats, batting gloves, fielding gloves for inside the glove, jock straps, arm bands, head bands. You get the picture?

:clap3:

Fantastic Jones quotes in there. We're lucky to have him.

Great article. I'm so glad Adam is an Oriole.
I know we are not supposed to talk politics on the board. I will just say AJ is a great Oriole, a true leader on and off the field.

Most of this thread is about how Adam's comments relate to youth baseball, which makes sense because this is a baseball board.

But echoing these comments, I've always been so impressed not only by Adam's baseball consistency but by his consistent emotional leadership and openness, with both baseball and non-baseball topics. From everything I know of him I'd say he's not just a great Oriole but a great person.

Baseball is a white man's sport because black kids choose to play football and basketball. That is what black culture glorifies in music, movies and tv.

It is not because of any injustice against aspiring black baseball players

Baseball is suburban and there is a significant cost barrier to play, that has only increased in the last 20 years. That combined with increasing suburban segregation and housing cost inflation over the same time period has led to a cultural rift between urban and suburban. Baseball left the cities during white flight through the 70's Basketball and football do not have nearly the costs associated with entry, nor upkeep of fields and courts. As white flight caused the immense tax drain on urban areas and rec leagues and parks felt the pinch as tax dollars dwindled.

Bottom line, it is far more than just "That is not what media is pushing on these kids," it is a host of issues that act as a feedback loop

Here is the breakdown as of 2015.

25-Man Major League rosters

? 2015 Opening Day, the number of players from the 25-Man Major League rosters who identified themselves as African-American or Black was approximately 8.3 percent, which was an increase from 8.2 percent in 2014. The first round of the 2014 First-Year Player Draft featured the selections of five African-American players (five-of-34, 14.7 percent). African-American players accounted for 12 of the 73 selections that were made on the first day of the 2014 MLB draft.

? The percentage of Latino players increased from 28.4 percent in 2014 to 29.3 percent on 2015 opening day rosters.

? The percentage of Asian players decreased from two percent in 2014 to 1.2 percent in 2015.

? The percentage of white players decreased from 60.9 percent in 2014 to 58.8 percent in 2015.

Here is the article.

http://www.sportsbusinessnews.com/node/26907

Great part about the article CoC posted:

Rutland sat in the bleachers that night and told Lorenzo McCutchen he understood the cost of travel ball: gas, hotels, meals, tournament fees. And this was before the travel-ball model began asphyxiating the local leagues and parents starting believing they had to fly across the country at least three times a summer to make sure their sons were seen by the right people in the right places. The Lakeland Roadrunners, with their cheap mesh jerseys and store-bought white pants, were low-key. Rutland was about baseball, not appearances.

Baseball is a white man's sport because black kids in the U.S. choose to play football and basketball. That is what black culture glorifies in music, movies and tv.

It is not because of any injustice against aspiring black baseball players.

If black kids in this country played baseball the same way they do in latin american, we would see similar %'s of black players in MLB as in the NFL and NBA.

Exactly. The only reason the number used to be so much higher is because basketball and football were still developing in popularity in the 60's and 70's and back in the first half of the century those sports didn't really exist on the professional level.

Any African-American growing up post-1980 is going to be much more likely to play those sports, not to mention pick-up baseball is dead (in both urban and suburban communities).

When I started reading this thread (and before I got to Can of Corn's post), I instantly thought of the below article from Andrew McCutchen from the Players Tribune. I recommend it.

My parents loved me, but they had to work hard to put food on the table, and there wasn't much left over. They didn't have the option of skipping a shift to take me to a tournament over the weekend.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/left-out/

Baseball is suburban and there is a significant cost barrier to play, that has only increased in the last 20 years. That combined with increasing suburban segregation and housing cost inflation over the same time period has led to a cultural rift between urban and suburban. Baseball left the cities during white flight through the 70's Basketball and football do not have nearly the costs associated with entry, nor upkeep of fields and courts. As white flight caused the immense tax drain on urban areas and rec leagues and parks felt the pinch as tax dollars dwindled.

Bottom line, it is far more than just "That is not what media is pushing on these kids," it is a host of issues that act as a feedback loop

I never played organized football, and neither did my kids...is football equipment really that much cheaper than baseball equipment?

Most of this thread is about how Adam's comments relate to youth baseball, which makes sense because this is a baseball board.

But echoing these comments, I've always been so impressed not only by Adam's baseball consistency but by his consistent emotional leadership and openness, with both baseball and non-baseball topics. From everything I know of him I'd say he's not just a great Oriole but a great person.

Me too. WE are fortunate.

I never played organized football, and neither did my kids...is football equipment really that much cheaper than baseball equipment?

You don't pay for football equipment or the travel that is required to advance in baseball. 700 of thee dudes in the world. They make more replacements every day.

Archived