Tillman to Gausman to Bundy to Jimenez to Gallardo

larrytt

First the good, then the big question. The good: we now have a pretty good starting staff:

Tillman: 3.68 ERA

Gausman: 3.61 ERA

Bundy: 3.82 ERA

Jimenez: 3.24 ERA since allstar break

Gallardo: 3.34 ERA in Aug & Sept in 6 of his 7 starts (leaving out that one disastrous one where he gave up 7 ER in 1.1 innings)

So there's our five. Three of them have done well all year, one (Jimenez) has been on fire since the allstar break, and the other, our #5, has pitched very well in 6 of his 7 starts in Aug & Sept. These five could pitch us into the postseason, if the O's bats stay alive. (Add that O'Day will be back soon and our pitching is suddenly looking very good.)

Now the big question: Why is Miley, with a 7.15 ERA that keeps going up, starting? With Tillman back, he shouldn't even be in the equation. Am I missing something?

First the good, then the big question. The good: we now have a pretty good starting staff:

Tillman: 3.68 ERA

Gausman: 3.61 ERA

Bundy: 3.82 ERA

Jimenez: 3.24 ERA since allstar break

Gallardo: 3.34 ERA in Aug & Sept in 6 of his 7 starts (leaving out that one disastrous one where he gave up 7 ER in 1.1 innings)

So there's our five. Three of them have done well all year, one (Jimenez) has been on fire since the allstar break, and the other, our #5, has pitched very well in 6 of his 7 starts in Aug & Sept. These five could pitch us into the postseason, if the O's bats stay alive. (Add that O'Day will be back soon and our pitching is suddenly looking very good.)

Now the big question: Why is Miley, with a 7.15 ERA that keeps going up, starting? With Tillman back, he shouldn't even be in the equation. Am I missing something?

I was perplexed why they were starting Miley in Fenway of all places. Fenway Park is an extremely difficult place to pitch even for good left-handed starting pitchers. For a bad one, it's damn near impossible. I thought all along the Orioles should have skipped Miley until the Arizona series. Now, I don't think they should even let him throw another pitch the rest of the season.

Guessing they're trying to get Bundy an extra day off. And Buck is notoriously slow to remove someone from the rotation. He already pushed Miley back.

Hoping Miley doesn't throw a pitch the rest of the season.

They still could have given Bundy an extra day off simply by starting Gallardo in his place. Yovani's not great by any means but at least he gives the team a chance to win and doesn't completely implode at the first sign of trouble the Yankees start notwithstanding.

I was OK starting Miley to give Bundy and every other pitcher in our rotation an extra day. I see no reason to give him any more starts after his abysmal performance tonight. He can throw junk middle relief innings.

I half wonder if something is wrong with Gallardo. I mean why skip him instead of Miley? Hasn't pitched since September 6.

Miley should be a loogy or a mop up guy only from this point on.

And I don't mean just the rest of this season.

If he doesn't like it, he can retire.

Give the guy a break - he could come back. Just not this year as a starter. He needs to either get it together in the bullpen, go to the minors and get it together there, or sign with some very bad team in desperate need of pitching and willing to take a huge gamble. If we need an emergency starter, we have Worley and others. Barring injury or a player completely falling apart several times in a row, I don't want to see another game started by anyone but the five listed in the thread's title. They are now our Fab Five. I'd just love to know why they started Miley today instead of Gallardo.

Archived