Dan Connolly: What Constitutes A Successful Season For The Orioles?

PressBoxOnline

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Prior to the seasoan if you told me on September 15th that this club would be in the playoff hunt...I'd say it was a success. However after being in 1st place for most of the season...I'd say it's a success if they win the division. If they win the wild card, I'd be happy, just slightly disappointed. But that's more of a function of the 1 card WC playoff game being ridiculous (it should be a 3 game set).

Agree with all of this, but especially the last thought. Why the heck isn't the wild card a 3 game series? It's pretty absurd to have a one game playoff in this sport.

Agree with all of this, but especially the last thought. Why the heck isn't the wild card a 3 game series? It's pretty absurd to have a one game playoff in this sport.

Yea, I think we all want the baseball playoffs to last another three, four days. Have to love November baseball.

I'd rather the teams with the top four records make it.

Yea, I think we all want the baseball playoffs to last another three, four days. Have to love November baseball.

I'm fine with top four records, but then you have to get rid of divisions and run a balanced schedule. Which I'm also fine with. In fact, I would prefer it.

I'm fine with top four records, but then you have to get rid of divisions and run a balanced schedule. Which I'm also fine with. In fact, I would prefer it.

That would indeed be what I was suggesting.

Only downside would be more opposite coast road trips for teams. Have to figure out a way to slip in a couple more off days.

Only downside would be more opposite coast road trips for teams. Have to figure out a way to slip in a couple more off days.

Either that or they could get crazy and realign to an Eastern League and a Western League to cut down on coastal road trips (albeit making them likely for the World Series). I can't tell if that's a good idea or not, but I do know it will never happen haha

Never going to happen. MLB doesn't want a 15th place team. Divisions are here to stay, also help with travel.

A 3 game series would be better but it isn't fair to make a division winner wait forever to play. Already some teams don't start until Friday. Second WC makes winking division more important which I like.

Never going to happen. MLB doesn't want a 15th place team. Divisions are here to stay, also help with travel.

A 3 game series would be better but it isn't fair to make a division winner wait forever to play. Already some teams don't start until Friday. Second WC makes winking division more important which I like.

Why can't they just replicate the NBA then? I feel like that is better than what baseball currently does.

I just want the season to end a week earlier. I shouldn't have to worry about World Series going on taking kids out for Halloween.

I would think about starting on a Friday,(they did for a couple of years), and going to a 158 game schedule. Of course I doubt it happens due to revenue loss.

Reduce the season to 158 games. Or less.

Change from 1 game set to a 3 game set. 2 at home, 1 away. I think pretty much every.single.team would prefer that. More fans, more money, more TV time.

The tradeoffs are more than worth it.

Baseball was never built to have a one and done. Especially considering prior to 2 WC teams, there were 5 games for the WC winner. It's a poor format.

Change from 1 game set to a 3 game set. 2 at home, 1 away. I think pretty much every.single.team would prefer that. More fans, more money, more TV time.

Baseball was never built to have a one and done. Especially considering prior to 2 WC teams, there were 5 games for the WC winner. It's a poor format.

What about travel? Are you starting series day after regular season ends? No off days?

That would still make it a 1-1-1 series. You aren't giving the home team two in a row to start the series right? And that means off days for travel.

I don't see where the current WC is different than the old days where you would have the occasional one game playoff. Nobody cried that those were not best of three.

Obviously that will not happen. You know what I was saying. Meaningful playoff race baseball on September 15th.

Yeah this is success from my standpoint. Even if you win 110 games you could get swept in first round of playoffs. If the Orioles lose the rest of their games they would still have more wins than any of the 14 seasons before DDs arrival.

Archived