If Buck is benching Kim based on poor defense, why is Trumbo still getting regular at bats?

TINSTAAPP

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's not all act like Rickard is going to be some sort of savior.

He's playing with a problematic hand. Had an OPS+ of 84. A dWAR of -1.2. He's not a good OF at this point and time. He needs work. And I'm not convinced he'll come back and hit. Better off waiting until next year.

I prefer Rickard over Stubbs but that's about it.

Didn't Trumbo just win a game with a homer? Helped Gausman win 1-0. Basically no one on the O's hit that night but Trumbo.

The O's are in the first wild card spot in mid September, 2 out in the division and we are questioning how Buck makes out a lineup and who does or doesn't pinch hit? To me its amazing that the O's are in the playoff hunt with one of the worst starting staff's in baseball.

Tillman come off the DL, Gausman steps up, Bundy holds it together and Ubaldo figures is out. Who would have guessed all that could go right. Gallardo and Miley are still close be being disasters. And Buck can't throw the ball for them.

Buck has made extremely questionable decisions for the last month or two and he's finally starting to draw some heat from even his most ardent defenders.

Not playing Kim is mind boggling and inexcusable.

It would be amazing if the press would also ask some tough questions for once but I think they are scared of Buck.

If he uses Miley again and refuses to play Kim I will seriously begin to question if he is the man to lead us to the promised land.

I don't think Buck should drop Trumbo from the line-up. He will still win you games, and simply having him in the line-up will make opposing pitchers a little more uncomfortable (same also for Davis). A player who can explode with power at any moment is a weapon you don't want to bench.

As for Kim though..... I'm a huge fan of his - I think the whole spring training/roster argument has shown the mans character to come through and not just play well but play REALLY well. He gets on base, which is something many of our swing-and-miss power hitters struggle with. It is completely perplexing why Stubbs, Flaherty, Bourn etc are getting games and Kim isn't. The only thing missing from Kim's locker which would make him a really top MLB offensive player is the lack of long ball, and I would hope that in the close-season we would be able to work with him in that regard - but it seems that Buck has some issue with him which may prevent him progressing here.

I know AJ has done really well batting first, but I still think that is Kim's natural spot. To not play him at all, at any position, when we are entering such a critical phase of the season is straight up ridiculous IMO.

Both are poor defensively but Trumbo has been considerably worse at the plate since the all-star break. He has a line of .184/.263/.422 with a 78 wRC+ in the second half. Throw in his terrible outfield defense and Trumbo's basically been a replacement-level player in the last couple months. Why does Buck give a pass to Trumbo for his poor play while looking for any reason to glue Kim to the bench?

Well I guess Nolan plays better defense. Kim just isn't a Buck guy I guess.

Kim should play every day until he shows over a large enough sample size that he can't hit left handed pitching. I don't get it.

Nolan when there is a lefty but when facing a righty and playing Nolan again. I do hope DD trades Kim in the offseason to a team that will play him.

Very disappointed we are not seeing more of Kim. Seems like Buck uses every excuse in the book to keep him out of the lineup, whether that is RHP with slight reverse splits or Pearce or Flaherty matchup stats based on small sample sizes. Kim has earned the right to play against RHPs. Meanwhile he uses every excuse in the book to get Reimold, Stubbs, and Flaherty in the lineup. Letting Flaherty hit against Farquahar is just inexcusable.

SHould be interesting to see the lineup today. Pedro is .400 vs Archer so he will almost surely DH, putting Trumbo back in RF. Pearce is .375 with 2 HR vs Archer. He would probably be Buck's top choice but if he can't swing the bat Kim may reluctantly get a start.

I want to point out that Kim is OPSing .616 in his last 28 days. That's with 57 PA.

Okay... but why is Kim the only regular on the team not being given an opportunity to play his way through a slump? Every other regular on this team has been through multiple slumps this year, and each one was given an opportunity to play though it.

I saw a stat the other day, IIRC the offense scores 1.4 more runs a game when Kim plays. Can't verify that at the moment.

I want to point out that Kim is OPSing .616 in his last 28 days. That's with 57 PA.

57 PA is 12 games (starting).

His last 14 games: .256/.341/.359 - .700 OPS

His last 7 games: .188/.350/.313 - .663 OPS

So, yeah, the power isn't there. But the guy is getting on base.

But we're still talking very small sample sizes and the guy just isn't getting any playing time despite having the best overall approach of any hitter on the team.

Very disappointed we are not seeing more of Kim. Seems like Buck uses every excuse in the book to keep him out of the lineup, whether that is RHP with slight reverse splits or Pearce or Flaherty matchup stats based on small sample sizes. Kim has earned the right to play against RHPs. Meanwhile he uses every excuse in the book to get Reimold, Stubbs, and Flaherty in the lineup. Letting Flaherty hit against Farquahar is just inexcusable.

SHould be interesting to see the lineup today. Pedro is .400 vs Archer so he will almost surely DH, putting Trumbo back in RF. Pearce is .375 with 2 HR vs Archer. He would probably be Buck's top choice but if he can't swing the bat Kim may reluctantly get a start.

Pearce most definitely will not get the start. He's not able to resume baseball activities for like 10 days.

Archived