The difference between the Porcello and Rodriguez games

Frobby

Why do we keep treating our lineup as a monolith? We have a wide variety of hitters with different strengths, weaknesses and approaches that were all taught by different coaches at different points. If the whole lineup struggles, I give credit to the pitcher.

Last night, I really didn't fault our hitters. Porcello threw nothing but strikes, almost all in good locations, and we had no choice but to swing at some of them.

Tonight, I felt we gave EdRod a ton of help swinging at pitches outside the strike zone. I'm much more frustrated tonight than I was last night.

It's called feeling the pressure. ;)

According to pitch f/x, against Porcello the O's swung at 9 pitches outside the strike zone -- 6 swinging strikes, one foul tip, and two balls put in play for outs. Against Rodriguez, they swung at 29 pitches outside the strike zone -- 10 swinging strikes, 13 foul balls, 4 balls put in play for outs and 2 hits. So my point in the OP is confirmed.

According to pitch f/x, against Porcello the O's swung at 9 pitches outside the strike zone -- 6 swinging strikes, one foul tip, and two balls put in play for outs. Against Rodriguez, they swung at 29 pitches outside the strike zone -- 10 swinging strikes, 13 foul balls, 4 balls put in play for outs and 2 hits. So my point in the OP is confirmed.

Nice research.

The team is pressing. Big time.

Are you kidding? He has done that for years. Hes one of the most impatient hitters Ive ever seen, and he is certianly not a leadoff hitter when it comes to seeing pitches and taking his walks. He will do that for the rest of his career.

Jones is usually among the leaders in flailing at pitches out of strike zone. Schoop does is a lot, also.

Archived