Situational Awareness

Orioles4Life21

I'm very happy with the win last night. However I wanted to bring up that a lot of our hitters make some poor decisions in certain situations. Last nights examples: I believe it was after Pedro's homer. Schoop went up 3-0 in the count. He swung at the next pitch and popped out. Swinging 3-0 is a rarely a good idea, especially when you're not hitting well lately as it is. And the one that really bugged me is Davis' at bat in the 11th after Manny's fly out. Arizona brought in a new pitcher to face Davis. He threw two balls to start the at bat. The obvious approach here should be to make the guy show that he can throw a strike. Instead, CD swung at a fastball near the inside corner and flew out.

It seems as though we don't have a take sign, as these situations were obvious times to use it.

I know I have more examples but I'm blanking at the moment. It is after 4 am after all. :)

I know this might be a bit of a stretch and I knew Buck wouldn't do it, but was I the only one thinking it might be a good idea to PH Mancini for Davis in the 11th? The D'Backs had a lefty in there and Mancini killed lefties in the minors and is doing the same in the his first two games since being added to the roster.

Mancini seems to have a good approach when he bats and defensively, Mancini is a 1B. Maybe not as good defensively as Chris but still a 1B. Again I know it probably goes against conventional thought to take a vet out for a rookie who has played two games but I at least thought about it.

In the end, everything worked out for an O's win.

I'm very happy with the win last night. However I wanted to bring up that a lot of our hitters make some poor decisions in certain situations. Last nights examples: I believe it was after Pedro's homer. Schoop went up 3-0 in the count. He swung at the next pitch and popped out. Swinging 3-0 is a rarely a good idea, especially when you're not hitting well lately as it is. And the one that really bugged me is Davis' at bat in the 11th after Manny's fly out. Arizona brought in a new pitcher to face Davis. He threw two balls to start the at bat. The obvious approach here should be to make the guy show that he can throw a strike. Instead, CD swung at a fastball near the inside corner and flew out.

It seems as though we don't have a take sign, as these situations were obvious times to use it.

I know I have more examples but I'm blanking at the moment. It is after 4 am after all. :)

For years I have watched baseball and sac flies were a common part of the game. This team can't seem to get one to save their lives. It has become epic.

The Orioles have put a 3-0 ball in play 16 times this year and are 7-for-16 with three doubles, a homer and an .813 slugging percentage. Last year they were only 3-for-12, but with a double and a homer so they slugged .538. The year before 3-for-8 with two doubles. So in the last three seasons they've gone 13-for-36 with eight extra base hits when putting a 3-0 pitch in play. I kind of like those odds.

The Orioles have put a 3-0 ball in play 16 times this year and are 7-for-16 with three doubles, a homer and an .813 slugging percentage. Last year they were only 3-for-12, but with a double and a homer so they slugged .538. The year before 3-for-8 with two doubles. So in the last three seasons they've gone 13-for-36 with eight extra base hits when putting a 3-0 pitch in play. I kind of like those odds.

I don't have a problem with Schoop swinging 3-0. I believe there was one out at the time. We play station to station ball anyway. I like our chances better with him swinging 3-0 rather than needing a walk, plus two hits to score.

I do have a problem with Davis swinging on that 2-0 pitch with the bases loaded. Make the guy throw a strike. He hadn't yet.

Good to see. That said, I struggle with the decision to give a green light to a guy that has hit .169 this month against a pitcher that seemed to be rattled after giving up a long ball, but I was told expressing that opinion was piling on Jon, so I'll just leave it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I knew this was going to happen haha. Thanks Drungo.

Good to see. That said, I struggle with the decision to give a green light to a guy that has hit .169 this month against a pitcher that seemed to be rattled after giving up a long ball, but I was told expressing that opinion was piling on Jon, so I'll just leave it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this.

Most of the team is in a hitting slump right now: mainly Jones, Kim, Davis, Manny and especially Schoop. Worst time of the year to be in a slump. I hate to say that's baseball, but... I would hope the hitting coach is trying to get them to change their approach knowing they're slumping, and I assume he is.

Archived