Ubaldo for WC SP -- WITH Tillman/Bundy/Gausman on call in the BP

FanSince88

UJ is the healthiest starting pitcher we have right now, and has a pretty high ceiling -- maybe not quite as high as KG and Bundy at their best but probably higher than Tillman in the shape he's in. It's a tough call, but I would favor him as the WC starter, assuming he looks ok in his final regular season start. With the caveat that Tilly, Bundy, and KG would be the next men up on a moment's notice in the BP.

It should be a fireable offense if Buck starts Ubaldo instead of Gausman in the WC game.

We might want to start Gausman on Sunday if we need to win that game to (1) get into the wild card game, or (2) get the no. 1 wildcard spot. If we do, then he's not available to start the wild card game.

Ubaldo would be the real "Joe Saunders" move. Honestly we may have to use our "best" pitchers just to get into the WC game. We have four guys who are throwing the ball well consistently, but all have their flaws and question marks. I guess you go with whomever's turn is coming up and hope for the best. If I had to win one game right now I would go with Gausman, but not to the point of starting him on short rest.

Ubaldo would be the real "Joe Saunders" move. Honestly we may have to use our "best" pitchers just to get into the WC game. We have four guys who are throwing the ball well consistently, but all have their flaws and question marks. I guess you go with whomever's turn is coming up and hope for the best. If I had to win one game right now I would go with Gausman, but not to the point of starting him on short rest.

Looking at his last body of work, Miley was absolutely dominating in 8.2 innings pitched.

We might want to start Gausman on Sunday if we need to win that game to (1) get into the wild card game, or (2) get the no. 1 wildcard spot. If we do, then he's not available to start the wild card game.

I consider having Gausman available to start the WC game much more important than gaining home field advantage and having Ubaldo or a struggling Tillman start the WC game. Now if they need a win to get in, that's an entirely different story. Hopefully, it won't need to come down to that. I also hope that's Buck's line of thinking as well. Bundy will start the last game in New York and Gausman will start the WC game on six days rest if they have the second WC wrapped up by Sunday. If they need to win the last game in New York to make the WC game, Gausman will start on Sunday.

I consider having Gausman available to start the WC game much more important than gaining home field advantage and having Ubaldo or a struggling Tillman start the WC game. Now if they need a win to get in, that's an entirely different story. Hopefully, it won't need to come down to that. I also hope that's Buck's line of thinking as well. Bundy will start the last game in New York and Gausman will start the WC game on six days rest if they have the second WC wrapped up by Sunday. If they need to win the last game in New York to make the WC game, Gausman will start on Sunday.

Have to disagree with you there. Whoever starts will be on a very short leash wherever the game is played. I want a home game, keep it close for 4 or 5 innings and then our bullpen takes over. Having home field is huge for a 1 game playoff.

This post nails it and the last in bold is what matters. Either they play well this week to the point of saving KG for the WC game or they don't. Either way, he's preferable to Jimenez.

I am perfectly fine letting UJ starting the first game of a series before Tillman though. I'd like to see Chris get as much rest as possible in between starts until he resembles what we saw in the first half from him.

Archived