I just got to wonder

fansince71

Does anyone think that if we miss the playoffs we might be better off? I know that sounds silly but maybe just maybe DD and Buck will realize this is a flawed team that really has no chance to compete for a title. I mean if we make the wildcard and more than likely get eliminated by Toronto, that perhaps there wont be the urgency this off season cause man we made the playoffs.. IDK this aint looking good right now.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buck and Dan know exactly what they have in this team. They know the OBP is too low. They know they are too dependent on the home run to score. They know the starting pitching has not been as good as the competition.

The team was built to a budget. They tried to get Fowler instead on Pedro. They tried to develop Wright and Wilson instead on adding Miley. Frankly I am surprised they spent as much as the did.

The team as been entertaining to watch. They probably let some aging players go this off season and try to get younger, building around Manny and Bundy next year.

There is a conceit around here that we know the flaws and shortcomings of this team better than the guys who run it. It isn't true. Dan and Buck are not going to have some blinding revelation if we miss the playoffs by a game, nor will they be misled if we squeak in. But they aren't going to blow up a pretty good team because it isn't a great one. They'll tinker and try to find ways to make incremental improvements, like they always try to do.

There is a conceit around here that we know the flaws and shortcomings of this team better than the guys who run it. It isn't true. Dan and Buck are not going to have some blinding revelation if we miss the playoffs by a game, nor will they be misled if we squeak in. But they aren't going to blow up a pretty good team because it isn't a great one. They'll tinker and try to find ways to make incremental improvements, like they always try to do.

Exactly. It's a little late for a full rebuild. They need to maximize how ever long Manny is here, and then worry about a rebuild.

Does anyone think that if we miss the playoffs we might be better off? I know that sounds silly but maybe just maybe DD and Buck will realize this is a flawed team that really has no chance to compete for a title.

This team is 85-72 in the hardest division in baseball. I just do not get why everyone is so down on this team, right as we have a chance to make the playoffs. Was a decade in the wilderness not enough? Do we need to go back so that we appreciate a good team?

Nice to see a post of reason, thank you.

This team is 85-72 in the hardest division in baseball. I just do not get why everyone is so down on this team, right as we have a chance to make the playoffs. Was a decade in the wilderness not enough? Do we need to go back so that we appreciate a good team?

Exactly, meaningful baseball, the final week of the season, I dont think some posters really understand the difference between that, and a team that is .20 under by the ASB.

Nice summary

Does anyone think that if we miss the playoffs we might be better off? I know that sounds silly but maybe just maybe DD and Buck will realize this is a flawed team that really has no chance to compete for a title. I mean if we make the wildcard and more than likely get eliminated by Toronto, that perhaps there wont be the urgency this off season cause man we made the playoffs.. IDK this aint looking good right now.

It won't matter as long as Peter is the owner. He is the fly in the ointment. Yes DD and Buck have made mistakes. It's frustrating that money is not used to improve the team it's used to resign one player. IMO

It won't matter as long as Peter is the owner. He is the fly in the ointment. Yes DD and Buck have made mistakes. It's frustrating that money is not used to improve the team it's used to resign one player. IMO

I am not sure, in these recent years, you can pin too much onto Peter, he isn't the same as he used to be.

Archived