It's not that hard to see why they stopped hitting

turtlebowl

I watched the game last night just like most nights but I really became focused on something. I noticed how many either pitchers pitches or balls out of the strike zone that the team swings at early in counts. I know I had at least a hand full of times where if they were selective on the first 2 pitches the count would have been 2-0 instead of 0-2. Jones and Schoop especially just looked like they made up their mind they were swinging before the ball was even thrown. Even worse in my mind, once they get behind in the count they seem unwilling to change the approach and just shorten up and put it in play, it's still grip it and rip it. I think the Rangers exposed how to pitch to this team a couple of months ago and for the most part when executed properly the O's hitters get themselves out. Somewhere this whole hitting philosophy needs to change in this organization. I get tired of hearing they are free swingers and you can't take their aggressiveness away. Every team has a better approach at the plate then we do. This isn't just a slump, this team has been scouted and hasn't made any adjustments at all. Someone in the organization needs to say enough with this so it doesn't happen year after year.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so sick of this tired and incorrect critique. We have a TON of different approaches in this lineup. Jones and Schoop have the exact opposite approach of Davis and Kim. I might buy this if we weren't league average in P/PA.

There is no "blueprint" to beat this team, unless you consider being talented and pitching well a blueprint.

:

I'm so sick of this tired and incorrect critique. We have a TON of different approaches in this lineup. Jones and Schoop have the exact opposite approach of Davis and Kim. I might buy this if we weren't league average in P/PA.

There is no "blueprint" to beat this team, unless you consider being talented and pitching well a blueprint.

There seemed to be a blueprint with that series in Houston when we saw nothing but breaking balls, but we rarely saw that again. :scratchchinhmm:

I agree, some posters forget they pay the other team to play as well.

You are both right. OP is correct that there is a book out on the Orioles hitters and they are failing to change their approach. AJ and Schoop are swinging at everything, Trumbo cannot hit a slider, while Davis is patient to a fault and has more looking strikeouts than any hitter I have every seen in my 30+ years of following baseball. I have never seen anything remotely close to it.

Manny, Kim, and JJ seem to be the only ones that don't have an obvious weakness and seem to be able to adjust to a variety of pitching styles.

I agree, some posters forget they pay the other team to play as well.

It's not a matter of the other team, it's a matter of a poor approach. Yes we have a couple of guys that have a better approach but how can anyone defend this teams overall lack of discipline at the plate. I was wrong earlier, it was the Houston series where the whole team looked lost. I still believe that the book got out and besides a couple little streaks the team has not hit that well since then. They are too easy to execute a game plan against because the refuse to adjust.

You are both right. OP is correct that there is a book out on the Orioles hitters and they are failing to change their approach. AJ and Schoop are swinging at everything, Trumbo cannot hit a slider, while Davis is patient to a fault and has more looking strikeouts than any hitter I have every seen in my 30+ years of following baseball. I have never seen anything remotely close to it.

I think Davis may well have set the record for most looking strikeouts in a season. He's currently at 75, topping his previous high of 56 by quite a margin. I thought Adam Dunn might hold that record, but the most he had was 63. By the way, Davis' 213 total strikeouts this season is already 3rd on the all time list, and only 10 away from Mark Reynolds' major league record of 223 while he was in Arizona.

Adam Jones has struck out looking 6 times all year. Schoop is at 10.

I think Davis may well have set the record for most looking strikeouts in a season. He's currently at 75, topping his previous high of 56 by quite a margin. I thought Adam Dunn might hold that record, but the most he had was 63. By the way, Davis' 213 total strikeouts this season is already 3rd on the all time list, and only 10 away from Mark Reynolds' major league record of 223 while he was in Arizona.

I'd love to see how many of those were actually on balls outside the zone. If he got the same strike zone respect as Ortiz, he'd have many less called strikeouts I think. Still a lot, maybe even still a record, but a less overwhelming total.

I'd love to see how many of those were actually on balls outside the zone. If he got the same strike zone respect as Ortiz, he'd have many less called strikeouts I think. Still a lot, maybe even still a record, but a less overwhelming total.

You mean like the one last night, when Buck came out and argued. /s

About 37%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There were several years in the deadball era where no one struck out more than 75 times total.

In 2007 Jack Cust struck out looking 72 times in 502 PAs. That would be 92 times in Chris Davis' 2016 PAs. Then in 2008 he had another 70. In '11 he had 40 in 270 PAs, or 96 per 648.

In 2011 Drew Stubbs K'd looking 65 times. In 2004 Mark Bellhorn had 67. In '96 Jay Buhner had 61.

Data only goes back to '88 so no looking up Schmidt or Bobby Bonds or Swish Nicholson (who K'd 175 times in 126 games in '63).

There were several years in the deadball era where no one struck out more than 75 times total.

In 2007 Jack Cust struck out looking 72 times in 502 PAs. That would be 92 times in Chris Davis' 2016 PAs. Then in 2008 he had another 70. In '11 he had 40 in 270 PAs, or 96 per 648.

In 2011 Drew Stubbs K'd looking 65 times. In 2004 Mark Bellhorn had 67. In '96 Jay Buhner had 61.

Data only goes back to '88 so no looking up Schmidt or Bobby Bonds or Swish Nicholson (who K'd 175 times in 126 games in '63).

I'd been wondering why they acquired him.

I do remember him - the fans yelled "Swish" every time he missed the ball. He was one the fans loved when he struck out (perhaps it was the Giant fans since I was watching the NYG play the Phils)! I wonder if we do that with Davis, if he would improve (approve)? Yell "SWISH" every time he misses! We could do it for Stubbs but he won't be here next year.

I was in favor of the Stubbs move if he were to only play minimally in the OF, but his K rate is startling. When I told a Red fan friend that we had acquired Stubbs, he told me that. Oy! :(

The O's stopped hitting because there's a blueprint and scouting plan out for their hitters.

As long as you're not throwing fastballs down the pipe, the O's aren't going to do any damage. They're very, very susceptible to changeups and breaking balls. They're not very fast so groundballs are perfectly fine to throw...so splitters and 2 seamers are also their kryptonite.

Largely speaking the team is very aggressive and have long swings. They don't foul pitches off typically speaking. It's very much maximum effort all the time. It's a Coolbaugh approach. But also how the team is constructed.

So don't throw strikes and you'll get the O's out. Except for Kim.

Archived