Please resign Britton

brianod

It would come close to paying for 1 year of salary. I guess the question is: will the money that was allocated for those 3 be available in the years to come?

You would not think so with the lack of support from the fan base. I'd guess no. I assume that the Anglelos family made their only bid splurge this year.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep. The ball is flying this year. Not only is frequency up, but it seems to me that home runs are traveling farther on average, by a good bit. Have seen some of the biggest bombs I can remember this year.

I think it's obvious that they changed the balls. Over the years there have been numerous seasons where there were step changes in offense despite no other obvious difference in rules, equipment, strategy, stadiums, etc. 1987, 1977, 1993. The simplest explanation, to me, is they have the ability to juice the balls when they want while keeping the COR within the wide rulebook specs so they can claim nothing changed. I think that also happened the other direction around 2010, and in 1988.

If you get a Bedard-like return and two cornerstone pieces, you move him. He's about to get very expensive going forward.

We trade Bedard when we couldn't win 70 games in a season. You don't trade Britton if you want to contend.

The question is how much is Britton worth? I would say if he could pitch like he has this year 20 million a year seems fair.

The O's made their bed now they gotta lie in it. There was not even competition in FA for Davis' services and yet we paid him top dollar. There are no trade partners.

There was competition. Boras just let the other teams know what the Orioles offer was so they didn't make a bid. The Tigers asked about him just before the Orioles signed. I am sure if he could have been had for less years there would have been offers.

But I don't think you could trade Davis unless you ate a lot of his contract. If he continues to get worse you might wish you did trade him now at half-off.

I think it's obvious that they changed the balls. Over the years there have been numerous seasons where there were step changes in offense despite no other obvious difference in rules, equipment, strategy, stadiums, etc. 1987, 1977, 1993. The simplest explanation, to me, is they have the ability to juice the balls when they want while keeping the COR within the wide rulebook specs so they can claim nothing changed. I think that also happened the other direction around 2010, and in 1988.

Or it's just random variation and not the product of a conspiracy theory.

Or it's just random variation and not the product of a conspiracy theory.

I suppose it is possible that ineptness or poor quality control in 1986-88 caused home runs to go up 16% to an all-time high in one year, then down almost 40% the next. Then again from 1992-94 they went back up by 30% just as labor relations tanked and media focus wanted to shift hard to off-field issues.

I suppose it is possible that ineptness or poor quality control in 1986-88 caused home runs to go up 16% to an all-time high in one year, then down almost 40% the next. Then again from 1992-94 they went back up by 30% just as labor relations tanked and media focus wanted to shift hard to off-field issues.

You have repeatedly used random statistical variation to explain individual performances (e.g. Brady hitting 50 homers). It can work in the aggregate too. Also it would be interesting to see if this variation correlates with weather, number of pitchers used per team, DL days for pitchers, etc. if I remember correctly, analysis of baseballs have shown no correlation with homer binges.

They won't trade Britton but this offseason is the time to do it. With two years of service time and coming off of an all time great season, his value will never be higher. Britton is great. However, he will never repeat the season he's having again. It's virtually impossible. Even at the 90% save guy he was previously, he's still great, just not irreplaceable. The Orioles have trouble developing starts but relievers, not so bad. With O'Day, Brach, Hart, Givens, and the likes of Drake, Duensing, Wright, the Orioles can still construct a solid bullpen without him. The Orioles are an average team with him. Their talent base will most likely be worse next year. However, the Orioles and many of you (possibly rightly so) will hope for Bundy, Gausman, and Tillman to compose a formidable top three and hope for enough home runs to put us in the chase again next year. For some that's enough.

BTW, this is the time to trade Tillman as well.

I agree on Britton. I think it's the one area where we organizationally have our stuff together. I don't really agree on Tillman. I assume he's carrying some sort of injury right now.. The Chris Tillman we've seen over the past five years is worth seeing if we can keep around 3-5 more years IMO. Ian Kennedy type deal, something in that range.

You have repeatedly used random statistical variation to explain individual performances (e.g. Brady hitting 50 homers). It can work in the aggregate too. Also it would be interesting to see if this variation correlates with weather, number of pitchers used per team, DL days for pitchers, etc. if I remember correctly, analysis of baseballs have shown no correlation with homer binges.

I've read some analysis of baseball resiliency but the only thing I remember is that the specs are wide enough to drive a truck through.

I think random variation is less likely to be a cause of league-wide effects because of the sample size. Brady had <700 PAs. The 1986-88 MLB had 162,000 each in mostly the same parks with probably 80% the same players. But I suppose it is possible, if unlikely.

Archived