TV Ratings 2016

Going Underground

There was an article in the Baltimore Sun yesterday that say robberies are up 62 percent this year in Baltimore. They say there are gangs of youth that will rob people at anytime and any place. I think the perception is probably pretty accurate.

As always, it's a matter of *where* in Baltimore. The media (and people outside the city) like to paint the entire city as some sort of battleground.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As always, it's a matter of *where* in Baltimore. The media (and people outside the city) like to paint the entire city as some sort of battleground.

They mentioned areas. And gave examples of it happening in better neighborhoods in the daytime.

Here is the article:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-robbery-trends-20160928-story.html

"Will the fans show?" 36% increase in tv ratings for Baltimore with the rest of MLB being down. I think some apologies by the are in order. The city obviously supports the team.

So the fans support the team if they can do so for free. If you are an Orioles player, and in a critical game there are 20,000 fans in the stands, half of whom are rooting for the opponent, the fact that a lot of people are watching on TV isn't much comfort. Especially when you play that same team on the road and they have 35-40,00 fans showing up.

I think it mostly boils down to the Orioles' pricing strategy. Prices up 15-20%, attendance down 6-7%. The team made more money at the gate in 2016 than before they hiked up the prices, but I still hate seeing so many empty seats when the players are playing their butts off.

There was an article in the Baltimore Sun yesterday that say robberies are up 62 percent this year in Baltimore. They say there are gangs of youth that will rob people at anytime and any place. I think the perception is probably pretty accurate.

Have you read any accounts of people being robbed on their way to or from an Orioles game? I haven't. Not so say it hasn't happened, but I am not aware of it.

In a lot of ways the stadium experience can't compete.

The stadium isn't ever going to be 0 minutes from my house with a big comfy couch, a fridge full of food at grocery store prices, and my favorite beer that's cheaper than a bottle of water at the park. And no line at the bathroom. And free parking.

Not that the stadium doesn't have significant positives, too.

The stadium isn't ever going to be 0 minutes from my house with a big comfy couch, a fridge full of food at grocery store prices, and my favorite beer that's cheaper than a bottle of water at the park. And no line at the bathroom. And free parking.

Not that the stadium doesn't have significant positives, too.

Pretty much my thoughts, exactly.

I knew about MLB.TV of course.

Seems odd that a provider still wouldn't offer it.

Cable companies are very much like car companies. Very far behind the times when it comes to tech. Some allow streaming to mobile devices via internet (versus requiring a cable box). And some it's a no go. Even those that do allow streaming, they often times provide limited channel selections.

It sucks.

Worse for cord cutters that are in the region of their respective team.

I believe TV revenue is far more significant ultimately than the live gate. Sad as it might be, the stadium crowd is almost a "studio" audience for the folks watching at home. I enjoy going to Oriole games, but I never miss a single telecast at home if I dont.

This is true. When I read posts complaining about low attendance, I'm tempted to translate that to "I wish there were a big crowd there so my TV viewing experience could be more enjoyable."

None of which allow you to watch in Baltimore, Maryland and other areas that black out access.*

*Without using things like: Unlocator, VPNs, etc.

You can stream all the Orioles games in Baltimore for free. If you are going to use VPN's and such nonsense you might as well just pick up one of the many free streams and watch them.

I believe TV revenue is far more significant ultimately than the live gate. Sad as it might be, the stadium crowd is almost a "studio" audience for the folks watching at home. I enjoy going to Oriole games, but I never miss a single telecast at home if I dont.

I think that is true...but then they should cut ticket prices back to where they were. Keep the games accessible to the fans, put a more exciting product on TV, and you still rake in the TV bucks. If they aren't reliant on the ticket revenue, it seems they are nickel and diming the most loyal part of the fanbase for no good reason.

Bingo. TV is everything. That's where the big money is. Gate and concessions are peanuts compared to that.

If we make it to the ALDS, I guarantee that at least 5,000 fans will put down there $250 deposit to be able to buy seats for the playoffs. That will be 5,000 times 13 for next years attendance. So an extra 65k in fans alone next year just from that. Also I don't by the deadlines to put your deposit in. They will be flexible with that if and ALDS, ALCS or WS happens in Baltimore.

I'm blaming drop in attendance on a variety of factors:

1. Orioles front office is bad at selling season tickets

2. Orioles front office is bad at marketing tickets

3. Traffic in the region

4. Perception of crime in city

5. CHEAP HUGE HDTVS!!!

All are factors.

Also, the boom in aftermarket ticket services like Stub Hub, and the ease of being able to do it all with your phone now, means a lot of season tickets that would have been unused 10+ years ago if the owner couldn't go to the game, now are easily sold on the secondary market.

A season ticket holder selling his ticket puts an extra butt in the seats that wouldn't have been there, but does NOT increase paid attendance.

I think a LOT more people now use Stub Hub when they decide to walk up to the game, rather than walk up to the ticket window and get a ticket. And the ticket you get on Stub Hub has already been counted in the attendnace.

And we fell below a critical mass, where people realized that you didn't need season tickets to get good seats to even the premium games. The main reason for buying season tickets is to ensure you have some games you can go to in good seats.

I could pick 13 games at random during hte season, and get good seats to 8 of them the day of the game via the secondary market. So why should I buy a 13 game plan?

But then if I don't buy the 13 game plan, and 4 or 5 of those games are rainy, or a friend can't make it, or I have to work late... guess what, I don't go.

Once our demand vs the size of the stadium fell beyond a point where people could get good seats at a decent price for most games without buying season tickets, some people stop buying them. It's a vicious cycle.

I would expect each stadium renovation to lessen the # of seats by adding things like bars, restaurants, etc. The smaller the stadium, the easier it is to create demand.

And yes, we need better marketing. For God's sake, have Fan Fest in late January when people are getting excited about baseball. have the season ticket renewals out well before that. Have individual game tickets available at FanFest. That's not rocket science.

Archived