Has the clubhouse celebration shtick gotten a little too scripted?

Frobby

I dunno, but I think the clubhouse celebration scene has gotten a little tired and stale. It's almost like they spray the champaigne around because it's expected of them. The team I saw tonight looked to me more relieved than overjoyed, and frankly, more focused on who they'd play next and where than on celebrating their accomplishment. Which is fine for a team that has been there a couple of times in recent years.

By the way, I understand the goggles and the plastic sheeting, but it sure makes the whole thing seem a bit sterile.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im not joyless or against celebrating...but a champagne celebration in becoming the SECOND wild card team seems a great deal pretentious and presumptive. Win something substantial..then celebrate with champagne.This team is a long way away from celebrating something substantial. It kind of reminds me of the "act like youve been there before" quote. You celebrate with champagne when you really earn it.

Going through a 162 game season and coming out one of the final 10 is substantial. Regardless of what comes after.

Im not joyless or against celebrating...but a champagne celebration in becoming the SECOND wild card team seems a great deal pretentious and presumptive. Win something substantial..then celebrate with champagne.This team is a long way away from celebrating something substantial. It kind of reminds me of the "act like youve been there before" quote. You celebrate with champagne when you really earn it.

Depends on the situation. When they won the wild card game in 2012 that was an awesome celebration, very cathartic for the fans who had waited 15 years to see something worth celebrating. Today seemed more like checking a box.

But I'm actually talking about the whole ritual, no matter what team and what stage of the playoffs.

Second wild card? Tied for the first wild card. Plays away due to an on field selection tiebreaker. And not one I disagree with. Just not second tiebreakers. There is none in the AL this Season.

Im happy we had reason to celebrate, but agree with Frobby & Roy. But what were the players sposed to do? Its all set up so they have to celebrate or look even worse by not participating, but it does have the feel of the everyone gets a trophy schtick. Save it for something more significant.

I loved the "celebration" when the O's came back from losing the 2012 Division Series against the Yankees when fans lined up to meet them at the bus and the loud cheers for Buck took place.

You guys made me proud to be an Orioles fan that night. I would have joined in if I were not 1500 miles from Mob City.

I think it's become so standard, especially in baseball, that they almost have to do itfor marketing purposes.

They want the fans to see the champagne celebration as a reminder that they've officially made the playoffs.....and then maybe everyone will run off and buy "Postseason 2016" tshirts and 2017 season ticket packages.

I had this team pegged for about 75 win preseason and as such I 100% endorse spraying around all the champagne they want. Making the playoffs in baseball is a rare enough event that it should be celebrated. I was 6 in 1983 when I became a fan and the Orioles have made the playoffs 5 times in the 33 seasons I've been living and dying with them. Heck, I myself started buying a bottle of champagne for games we might clinch a playoff spot in 2012. I was guzzling champagne right along with the players last night - and it tasted so, so sweet!

"How about Kevin F________ Gausman!" - Tommy Hunter

I don't think that part was scripted.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">MASN went live to the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> celebration a little too soon and caught Tommy Hunter saying a bad word <a href="https://t.co/JnSwHwwpeM">https://t.co/JnSwHwwpeM</a></p>— Camden Chat (@CamdenChat) <a href="

">October 2, 2016</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived