Was last night Matt Wieters last game as an O?

Todd-O

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would definitely give him the QO. We need at least a year until Sisco is ready, so if he takes it, fine. The devil you know.

But I suspect he may go for a multi-year deal, perhaps elsewhere. His window is closing to land a longer term deal and he just proved he's healthy enough to catch most of the year. If he gets hurt one more time, he may never see another 3-year offer again.

Offer him the QO. If he accepts it, whatever. We have a one year stopgap.

If he declines it, :2yay-thumb::new_wave:

Sure. My thoughts throughout the year were that they were floored by his acceptance last year and wouldn't do it again. But no reason to pass on a two-win, one-year contract for a two-win player at a position with no immediate replacement. Especially with the bonus if he declines. And he's a good guy who likes the team.

Chris Davis' best two seasons: 11.5 rWAR

Matt Wieters' 8-year career: 16.3 rWAR

I am not a big fan of metrics for catchers, there is too much of what they do that isn't captured by their WAR.

Not fair to compare other position players and their WARs to catchers. IMO

I also disagree with the notion that Wieters should have been given Davis money, instead.

I think they are both good core members of this team. IMO

It should be' date=' but I don't know if it will. The QO is a tough call, but I don't think they will do it. Now, if you were Matt, would you take the QO and only have one year of a guaranteed contract, but it will be a fat one?[/quote']

Didnt the FO leak to the media, that the QO was not going to be offered to MW this off-season?

Didnt the FO leak to the media, that the QO was not going to be offered to MW this off-season?

That rumor has circulated, but I wouldn't bet the house on it. It comes from John Heyman, without any attribution. From August 20:

The Orioles aren’t planning to give Matt Wieters another qualifying offer, not at $17 million or so. He’s done OK but they don’t have the money to pay for the production

http://www.todaysknuckleball.com/inside-baseball-with-jon-heyman/heyman-10-managers-whose-seat-hot-lukewarm-cooler-youd-think/

That rumor has circulated, but I wouldn't bet the house on it. It comes from John Heyman, without any attribution. From August 20:

http://www.todaysknuckleball.com/inside-baseball-with-jon-heyman/heyman-10-managers-whose-seat-hot-lukewarm-cooler-youd-think/

Thanks.

He isnt the worse source in baseball, so we shall see.

I think Ramos going down with a 2nd ACL has pretty much taking him out of the equation for FA catchers, leaving MW more valuable on the open market.

I would not want to be DD this off-season, too many hard questions and decisions to make.

Archived