Was last night Matt Wieters last game as an O?

Todd-O

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do you suppose every manager in baseball would disagree with you. Why to you think the majority of catchers are mediocre hitters or worse. Why do the think the defensive adjustment is highest for that position?

Because the nature of the position is highly defensive. Based on metrics and what I've heard, he either is awful or somewhat above average. Haven't heard anything from people who actually seen him play.

Because the nature of the position is highly defensive. Based on metrics and what I've heard, he either is awful or somewhat above average. Haven't heard anything from people who actually seen him play.
Who, Sisco? If he's a poor defensive catcher than why do you prefer him at a defensive intensive position? Why not make him the DH?

Don't see him coming back. I think the organization is counting on saving money at that position, and using Mancini to save money at the DH position. Now that money may be redeployed to find a better hitting outfield option, or to bolster the starting rotation.

Are we talking about Sisco or God? Sisco threw out 25% of the runners last year, a little below average number. The troubling part is that he started the first month off strong about 40% and the overall number of attemps against him. 133 attemps in 83 games. Teams wanted to run on him and did so. Chris O'Brien, another defensively challenged catcher started 36 games and only caught 10 of 45. So maybe you blame on the pitchers, EXCEPT that defensive stalwart Austin Wynns managed to nail 8 of 14 in 19 games started. Buck prides himself on controlling the opposition's running game. Some would argue to the detriment of some of his pitchers with his insistence on good times to the plate. Buck is a Matt Wieters guy,Caleb Joseph guy. He's a Francisco Pena guy. He'd probably be an Austin Wynns guy. He'd rather have a .600 OPS and a catcher you can throw out runners than a .750 catcher who can't. JMO

Thank you for clarifying. I would love to see him at DH, but do we put him in or do we put Mancini in? I don't see buck putting Chris Davis out of right field and Mancini it first.

Thank you for clarifying. I would love to see him at DH, but do we put him in or do we put Mancini in? I don't see buck putting Chris Davis out of right field and Mancini it first.
Play the better hitter at DH and trade the other one.

It should be' date=' but I don't know if it will. The QO is a tough call, but I don't think they will do it. Now, if you were Matt, would you take the QO and only have one year of a guaranteed contract, but it will be a fat one?[/quote']

Yes I'd take it. He (and his wife) like it here. Even if he could get 3 and 30. 1 at 16 isn't too bad particularly since he made that last year.

Archived