Non Tender Candidate: Vance Worley

sportsfan8703

Worley has NO OPTIONS. To keep an effective bullpen during the 162 game schedule, a team needs to have 3 pitchers on the Twenty-Five with options that can/should be used. Givens and Hart will have options BUT may be the key to bullpen back-end. MacFarland has used up all his options and would be a more viable Non-Tender/trade piece to put with Worley.

Worley did a nice job. His splits in the 2nd half were not that impressive. 41.1 IP 22K 20 BB 7 HR.

Worley served his role this year. We picked him up around this year too. He was a good pickup. But he's probably going to earn around 3.5-4 million in arb. That can be put to better use.

We should try and trade him for anything and if not just non tender him.

The biggest thing is this pen needs options as is. The pen is almost locked in and great.

Britton, Brach, Givens, O'day, Hart, Gallardo/Ubaldo/Miley, open spot.

It will be more valuable to have the 3.5 million and shuffle through Drake, Garcia, Wilson, Wright, Bridwell, Acquino, Lee, Liranzo, Scott next year. Drake's high K rate has earned him first look.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/drakeol01.shtml

Drake had a 1.00 WHIP in 18 IP. His time has come.

And for good reason. None of those guys showed they could perform as well as Worley.

Worley had time to prove himself over previous seasons. Wright and Wilson are in the beginning stages of their careers and suffer from "Lack Of MLB Experience". The only way to get the "Experience" is to pitch at this level and to have an understanding of what their roles are from Spring Training forward. The cost of both of these players allows for an additional player or two for what you woud be paying Worley plus the added bonus of "OPTIONS".

Worley had time to prove himself over previous seasons. Wright and Wilson are in the beginning stages of their careers and suffer from "Lack Of MLB Experience". The only way to get the "Experience" is to pitch at this level and to have an understanding of what their roles are from Spring Training forward. The cost of both of these players allows for an additional player or two for what you woud be paying Worley plus the added bonus of "OPTIONS".

Worley is only two years older than Wright and Wilson. If our. plan is to contend I don't see a place for those two guys. This isn't the minor leagues. If you want to stay in big leagues you have to produce. They haven't.

Worley is only two years older than Wright and Wilson. If our. plan is to contend I don't see a place for those two guys. This isn't the minor leagues. If you want to stay in big leagues you have to produce. They haven't.

Cost, Cost, Cost plus the Options, Options, Options. Two years older with four years more experience. Look at some of Worley's earlier seasons before he finally "Got It" when with Pittsburgh and then get back to me on this issue.

He would be a guy that you could move as he is rather cheap and Versailles. I am still in the the idea that trading Givens could be a nice move for this team. He has the stuff to be a cheap closer for a young team and under control for a few years. The Phillies got a haul last off season for Giles a young bullpen guy. I don't think we can get that big haul but getting a young blocked corner outfielder would be what I look for.

He would be a guy that you could move as he is rather cheap and Versailles. I am still in the the idea that trading Givens could be a nice move for this team. He has the stuff to be a cheap closer for a young team and under control for a few years. The Phillies got a haul last off season for Giles a young bullpen guy. I don't think we can get that big haul but getting a young blocked corner outfielder would be what I look for.

I would much rather deal Brach. Givens has 5 years control, 2 for Brach.

I am inclined to keep Worley.

I think that his performance this year was somewhat undervalued and the versatility ( middle & long relief, starter) that he brings to the staff

negates his lack of options. Further, it is difficult to trust either Wright or Wison in this role right now.

This is a really good thread with a lot of good ideas in it.

I started read the thread with the idea that Worley would be back next year. However the points here has changed my mind.

2016 stats as relievers.

Worley 1-1, 3.20 ERA 64,2 IP, 65 H, 39K, .269 avg, 1.39 WHIP

Wilson 0-0, 3.86 ERA, 21 IP, 25 H, 16K, 294 avg. 1.43 WHIP

Wright 0-0, 3.27 ERA, 11 IP, 9 H, 4k, .225 avg, 1.00 WHIP

If the O's carry 6 starters the role of these pitchers would be long man/7th starter.

Drake does not fit because the is not a long man.

Considering the 3.5-4m projected salary for Worley vs .520M for Wright/Wilson. And that Wilson and Wright both have options next year while Worley does not, I have to conclude that the combination of Wilson and Wright should be able to handle the long man/7th starter role and Worley can be traded this winter.

I would not non tender Worley coming off a pretty good year. Someone should want him in trade even at 3.5/4M.

Thanks for the thoughts in this thread.

Archived